Menu

advice needed re: pixie dust request for santa

My daughter has been saying she's going to ask Santa for pixie dust for Christmas for the last two months. I keep telling her that Santa can't give her pixie dust because people can't fly and she keeps telling me "just wait- I know he'll give it to me."

Should Santa write her a note? I could put some glitter in a tulle bag or something... But it's not going to make her fly. What should Santa say if he writes her a note?

My thought was something along the lines of "Even Santa can't make people fly" but that sounds kind of mean...

I thought about having him write that flying is a special thing reserved for angels and that she will fly when she goes to heaven, and if pixie dust could make people fly it wouldn't be as special when we go to be with God. But I'm not sure that sounds right either...

In any case, I need some sort of explanation on why Santa can't make her fly. Any tips?

tough one.

I might make pixie dust but include some fancy "book" I typed up that warned readers that it is not well known but no less the truth that unless a fairy willingly gives you her dust then the dust will not make you fly. However this was collected from real fairies from wherever and it has been said that a pinch will give you sweet dreams or a great day or whatever.....and maybe include instructions for how to make a fairy house in your own back yard to house your own fairy. It would be awesome to have a kit for building but prob too late so a list of essential supplies would be cool. Maybe one really important thing- like all fairies really need a purple rock so here ya go.

My niece asked for a real live unicorn so I will have to tell my sister you beat her ...we figured she could at least claim zoning laws :lol:

Wow, it is hard to have to disrupt their innate belief that whatever it is, it will happen. (When I was 4, my parents dressed me up as an angel for Halloween. When my dad attached my wings to my back, my face lit up and I breathed, "Now I can finally fly!" My parents were utterly gobsmacked!)

I like the idea of writing her a letter. I totally lack creativity and am no help on what to say, though. :grouphug:

I thought about having him write that flying is a special thing reserved for angels and that she will fly when she goes to heaven' date=' and if pixie dust could make people fly it wouldn't be as special when we go to be with God. But I'm not sure that sounds right either...

[/quote']

I would say that fairies and pixie dust are make believe. Offer her a fairy wand, dress up wings, glitter or something else. Tell her she can pretend to fly.

I think shimmery lotion would be neater than glitter. Try and see if you can get away with that.

I don't think Santa should give religious instruction. I think it could lead to doubt later on down the line.

...I don't think Santa should give religious instruction. I think it could lead to doubt later on down the line.

You said exactly what I was thinking. I would never mix the two up like that. Mixing the truth with make-believe is asking for trouble later.

I let my kids pretend there is a Santa, but I have told them the truth about how there was a St. Nicholas and that is where the idea of Santa Claus came from. They act like there is a Santa and I even give them gifts from Santa, but they know.

I can relate...

my ds5 has super powers at the top of his wish list.

Quote from my 5 year old:

."I told Santa to get me and my friends super powers for christmas because they don't even cost anything, and some of my friends don't have a lot" And I thought Awwwwww how sweet....Then he added Santa would have to give some bad guys super powers too so he ( ds5 ) and his friends would have someone to beat up....;)

Dear Sweet (insert name),

I am leaving you some pixie dust like you wanted because you have been such a good girl this year. Pixie dust is beautiful and sparkly, but it can only make real fairies who are very, very tiny fly. You are a growing girl and it would take the entire supply of pixie dust to make you fly and then the real pixies couldn't fly. I know you don't want that! Take care of the pixie dust because you never know when a pixie will visit your house and may need some. Be a very good girl and I'll see you next year!

Love,

Santa

Or something like that. BTW, Santa and his reindeer don't use pixie dust to fly, they use the belief and kindness of children! :D

What about, in addition to your explanation, saying that "pixie dust for little kids is to sprinkle on the pillow for sweet dreams"

And don't forget to include Santa in the "only....can fly"

That's perfect! Santa can't fly without the reindeer because he can't make pixie dust- that's only for fairies! Thanks so much!!!!

I don't know that I have a problem with Santa giving religious advice, but probably it would be a bad idea for him to say that people become angels in Heaven, as it is incorrect.

That gets into a murky area for us. She is convinced that our close family friend that just passed away is an angel so I can't "correct" that assumption right now without creating more pain for her.

I almost wonder if she's hyperfocusing on the pixie dust because she told me she was asking for Miss Carrie back for Christmas and I told her that once someone goes to be with God in heaven they don't come back... A couple days later the pixie dust thing started and hasn't stopped.

You can't say Santa can't make her fly or only angels can fly because he has FLYING reindeer! It might be time for the truth.

I can't tell her the truth about Santa this year. She's going through too much loss already. I must find some way to explain it without giving away the Santa thing.

Dear Sweet (insert name),

I am leaving you some pixie dust like you wanted because you have been such a good girl this year. Pixie dust is beautiful and sparkly, but it can only make real fairies who are very, very tiny fly. You are a growing girl and it would take the entire supply of pixie dust to make you fly and then the real pixies couldn't fly. I know you don't want that! Take care of the pixie dust because you never know when a pixie will visit your house and may need some. Be a very good girl and I'll see you next year!

Love,

Santa

Or something like that. BTW, Santa and his reindeer don't use pixie dust to fly, they use the belief and kindness of children! :D

This is perfect! Thank you so much. I am so grateful for this and all of the advice shared by the hive. I never would have thought of this but it's absolutely perfect...

That gets into a murky area for us. She is convinced that our close family friend that just passed away is an angel so I can't "correct" that assumption right now without creating more pain for her.

I almost wonder if she's hyperfocusing on the pixie dust because she told me she was asking for Miss Carrie back for Christmas and I told her that once someone goes to be with God in heaven they don't come back... A couple days later the pixie dust thing started and hasn't stopped.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Glad you found a solution that works for you!