Menu

Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

Can you teach an old dog new tricks?  

1. 1. Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

• Actually, it's easier to teach a new trick to a sensible older dog than to a distracted puppy.
    • Teaching tricks to older dogs is pretty much the same as teaching a puppy.
    • It's a little harder for an older dog to learn, but not much.
    • It's a lot harder and takes longer, but older dogs can learn new tricks.
    • It's almost impossible to teach an old dog a new trick, but some people can do it.
    • It's true. You CAN'T teach an old dog new tricks.
    • It depends on the breed.
    • It depends on the individual dog.
    • Obligatory other.
    • Pass the Christmas cookies, and shut up about your new puppy already. ;)

So dh and I have never had a dog before the adorable little puppy we are now trying to figure out how to raise properly. He and I are having a friendly disagreement on one point, and I thought it would be fun to make a poll and see what the hive thinks on the subject. Want to take sides just for fun?

One of us thinks that while it's a really good idea to work steadily and regularly on training the puppy to do various desirable things (and not to do undesirable ones) because the earlier the desired behaviors are learned, the less we have to put up with the undesired ones, there's no huge hurry to teach the puppy fun, but non-critical skills, like "shake" and "play dead", because we can always train the dog to do new things later on, and she will probably learn better if she only has to learn a few things at a time. And right now we should concentrate on the most important skills, like house training, and coming when called.

One of us thinks that we should sit down now and decide on all the tricks we will want our adult dog to be able to perform, and start working on all of them now, because while, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" might be a little bit of an exaggeration, it must have some basis in reality or it would not be a cliche'. So the more things we work on now, while she's young and impressionable, the more skills she will have as an adult dog. If we wait too long, she will be able to learn fewer tricks, and it will be harder for her to learn them.

(Poll pending...)

Edited by MamaSheep

I volunteer at a shelter and we get dogs of all ages in there. I have seen unsocialized adult dogs with really bad manners learn new behaviors within minutes. I find the older dogs easier because they are less distracted (partially because most of the puppies are kenneled together if they are from the same litter and they distract each other.)

So, I think the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" is a total myth.

I was an obedience instructor for years and did rescue and find the saying to be very untrue. I find older dogs usually easier to work with than a puppy, but it can also be harder to break old bad habits. In fact, I am down to 1 old dog now and am beginning to feel like I would like another around. There is no way I want to deal with a puppy and will likley adopt a middle-aged dog when the time comes.

It was easy to teach our older dog new tricks. She was 3. She trained us fairly well when she was 6. :tongue_smilie: She would bark at the door like she wanted to go out, and as soon as we got up she would jump in our spot. The trick was we never knew when she needed to go out and when she was messing with us. Crazy dog!

Thank you, everyone who participated. I will not reveal whose side you're all on, other than to just mention that you sided with the person who actually READ the puppy care book, thankyouverymuch.

(She says rather smugly as she pats herself on the back and smirks triumphantly at her hubby....;) )

Edited by MamaSheep

I agree, older dogs can and do learn new tricks quite easily, usually. The things that are harder to train/undo later are really bad habits (think housetraining). It can be very hard to socialize an adult dog if they weren't as a puppy (they have critical periods during puppyhood for socialization).

The most important things to teach a puppy are how to learn, how to be around other people and dogs/animals (socialization), and where to relieve themselves, in my opinion, ymmv.

Thank you, everyone who participated. I will not reveal whose side you're all on, other than to just mention that you sided with the person who actually READ the puppy care book, thankyouverymuch.

(She says rather smugly as she pats herself on the back and smirks triumphantly at her hubby....;) )

:lol: sometimes it's so hard to be so right!

I consider teaching a dog the survival skills (come when called, stop at corners) el primo, the manners bit (sit, wait at the door until told okay to enter) second, and fun and games third.

I consider complete obedience more important that tricks. When I train a dog I look like a fool. I give them huge amounts of hugs and rubs and kisses and sing-song voiced praises. Alternatively, if they do something bad I put them on their back, raise my finger in their face, speak in a deep shaming voice and chew them out until they act "sorry". Using this "overly emotional" technique has worked very well for young dogs. I also love using an older well trained dog as an "example". Puppies will imitate.

That said, while I love training dogs, I've never had a minute of training in training dogs, nor read a single book. I just get out there and think of them as very emotional, not very bright children (to quote Konrad Lorenz) and I've had roaring luck with this. YMMV.