Menu

Today is my 20th anniversary!

:party:

I've been looking forward to this day for quite a while, not really sure what we would do to celebrate, but for me, it's a big deal. I am actually very happy, and very proud of our marriage. Marrying at 18 and 21, coming from different cultural and religious backgrounds, communicating via our 2nd language for the 1st year or so, we had a lot of obstacles, and yet our journey together has only made us stronger.

For past "big" anniversaries (10 years, 15 years) I have gotten diamond rings, a gold bangle, gold watch, etc. I always assumed we would go on a big trip or something for our 20th (my parents went to Hawaii for theirs).

Well, times have changed, and we can't afford to do much of anything, and that's OK. I have had to make peace with our current financial situation in recent years. Now that we have a 1 y.o., I can't imagine going away and leaving her anyway.

I realized all we really needed was some time alone, to talk about all the things we never have time to, just hang out and actually spend time together.

The dc and I came up with a plan. We would take the day off from school, the dc would take care of the baby and meals, and dh and I would lounge in our room all day. Sounds wonderful...

Baby gets a cold on Sun., passes it to other dc Mon. and Tues. We had to skip school yesterday because the kids were too sick, and I spent all day caring for runny-nosed, coughing poor little baby.

Today (our anniversary :001_rolleyes:) dh slept in since baby kept waking us up throughout the night, and then had work-related errands to do. I did school with the dc to make up for missing yesterday. I'm holding out hope for going out for coffee tonight, maybe?

Oh well, at least we went grocery shopping together last night, and I actually stayed up and watched TV with him while I folded laundry, so we did get a bit of "alone time".

Part of me is disappointed, but part of me is really OK with this. I want to shout from the rooftops "We made it, and we still love each other!" (maybe that's why I'm posting ;)). But, we already knew that, and we know it's a special day, whether we go through the motions of some preconceived notion of what it means to celebrate or not.

So, Happy uneventful sniffly-sneezy-achy-stuffy head-fever-coughing kids 20th Anniversary to Mr. Perfect and I. I wouldn't want to be here with anyone else.

(And here's to being able to afford something big for our 25th! ;)).

Happy Anniversary!!!

You are wise not to feel bad about not being able to afford big presents. My dh and I have been married for 25 years (in June) and this is the first year we've ever done anything at all to celebrate - there just never were funds for presents or eating out. The important thing is that you got through the tough times and enjoyed the good times and stayed true to each other and your vows. God bless you!!

Happy Anniversary!! It's funny, one of my friends is celebrating her 20th anniversary today as well!

As far as low key celebrating, I understand as well. Our 20th is next June. I know my husband was planning some sort of getaway, because we didn't do anything special for our 10th anniversary since our first son was born 12 days earlier. So he wanted to do something special for this milestone. Well... our special will be... the baby due two days before our anniversary! :lol: Oh well. It's all the time in between the milestones that counts, right?

Congrats again! I hope you at least get to go out for a little while.

Congratulations! I know what you mean about not being able to afford what you had planned. We went to Puerto Rico for 2 weeks on our 25th and planned on Italy for our 30th. Well, times have changed and Italy will have to wait. It sounds like you've got your head on straight about what's really important (which is probably why you made 20 years :001_smile:).