Menu

Share your best tips to get your house smelling fresh!

I think my house usually smells pretty decent. Maybe not yummy or anything but not foul. :) We feed the pets high quality raw food and often get comments that people don't know we have a pet until they see them.

Sometimes things get a little funky (like when the dog puked this morning :glare:) or I want simply want to freshen things up a bit. I open windows but I'd like to get the house smelling of something nice. Since I can't just break out a batch of cookies every time, I'm looking for some nice tips.

I can't use any scented products as I have a couple kids who react to those with itchy, watery eyes and sneezing.

What do you do?

Bowl a small pot of water with a cinnamon stick or two in it.

Can they handle essential oils? I'm rather sensitive to scents but am fine with essential oils. I like to sprinkle the carpets with baking soda scented with lemon essential oil and then vacuum.

I love the smell of evergreen, and we have a lot in the house at the moment. When I don't have that, I use pine essential oil in my wash water (for washing floors, counters, etc.). You can also put things to simmer on the stove like cinnamon sticks, cloves, whole allspice, mint, or any combo that you like.

Bowl a small pot of water with a cinnamon stick or two in it.

Can they handle essential oils? I'm rather sensitive to scents but am fine with essential oils. I like to sprinkle the carpets with baking soda scented with lemon essential oil and then vacuum.

:iagree:

I bring a pot of water to a boil with cinn. sticks, cloves and orange essential oil. Then I let it simmer for hours once it's been brought to a boil.

I vac. my floors with either lemon essential oil, sweet orange essential oil or grapefruit essential oil in my vac. filter. I also sprinkle baking soda and essential oil mixture on the floors once a month then vac. up.

I also spritz all the vent covers with a water and essential oil mixture.

Edited by mamaofblessings

Thanks for all the tips, ladies. I'm going to try some of them. Is there a way to get a house smelling like vanilla? I thought I remembered a trick somewhere... :001_unsure:

If you put a few drops on a lightbulb it will make the house smell like vanilla when you turn the lamp on.