Menu

Help Me Pick a Workout Rotation

Which One Would You Choose  

1. 1. Which One Would You Choose

• Barre/Callanetics Every Other Day
    • Barre/Callanetics Every 3 Days
    • The Usual Other (please elaborate)

I know that I'm driving everyone nuts with all my workout questions. I'm sorry :tongue_smilie:.

Christmas is coming

Negin's getting fat

Please put a penny in her cashmere hat

:smilielol5:

Well, the New Year is coming and I'm planning ahead for workouts. :)

Having lots of choices is overwhelming to say the least. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts/comments/feedback on all this.

NEED HELP MAKING A PLAN

I would like to make a workout plan. I'm thinking of alternating barre workouts with a whole bunch of other stuff on alternate days.

Not sure if I should do it like this:

Option 1

Day 1: Barre OR Callanetics - alternating

Day 2: ANYTHING else from list below – alternating - that is: pilates, yoga, rebounding, cardio, swimming, weights, walking, maybe Kettlebells, you name it ...

According to Burr Leonard on the bar method site you can do barre 3-5x a week, since it's a gentle exercise. The more you do barre workouts, the better the results.

OR

Option 2

Day 1: Bare OR Callanetics – alternating

Day 2: Pilates OR Yoga (alternating)

Day 3: Other Workout (not barre, pilates, yoga - but cardio, rebounding, swimming, etc.)

This option would give more variety and a greater chance to include Pilates/Yoga, which are very beneficial, and which I love.

I guess my question really is:

Should I do Barre/Callanetics every OTHER day or every 2-3 days?

BODY TYPE

I would love to have a leaner-looking body. I tend to bulk up quite easily – mostly in my shoulders and upper body, but also it can happen in the thighs. When I’m at my ideal weight or shape, I’m an hourglass.

When I gain weight, I’m much more of an apple.

My triceps and my core are my biggest problem areas. I really dislike those areas of my body.

BARRE METHODS & CALLANETICS

Just recently, I’ve gotten several ballet-based/barre DVDs and I also am slowly building up my Callanetics collection. I'm thrilled. From all that I've heard, these are great for leaner looking bodies. Just fabulous workouts overall.

SWIMMING

I absolutely love swimming and used to swim daily. I won’t swim daily anymore, for 2 reasons:

1. Can’t fit it all in – there’s only so much time I have available for working out (usually 1 hour maximum)

2. I fear that swimming too often may bulk my upper body further.

HEAVY CARDIO AND KICKBOXING TYPE WORKOUTS

I’m not particularly good at these and struggle with how fast they are. I’m no longer into all the shouting and yelling in some of them. Life is too short to be yelled and screamed at.

However, I keep reading how good these workouts are for the core and obliques – my problem areas.

The gentler ones by say, Kathy Smith or Denise Austin – are fine. Even some Billy Blanks, I like also.

I get frustrated at some of the more complicated kickboxing workouts, since I’m not very coordinated or good at it. There is a dread factor with these.

KETTLEBELLS

Never done them and am intrigued by them. I think that some have mentioned that they don’t lead to as much bulking as regular weights. Is that true? Again, I would prefer lean and less bulk.

LESLIE SANSONE

Did her for years and years. Fine as a back-up workout.

Same old, same old …

I like her just fine, but cannot do her too often.

JILLIAN MICHAELS

I have 3 of her earliest DVDS. Effective, but I don’t care for her style and meanness. Dread factor involved, but I will do them.

REBOUNDING

Absolutely love it.

YOGA AND PILATES

Love these so much also. Yoga, I've done for years and years. Pilates, I'm new to.

I have read many times that yoga helps a lot with emotional eating. This is something that I always need to work on.

BOSU AND BALANCE WORK

I’m getting older and balance is a concern of mine. I have a BOSU ball and need to use it more often. Simple as that …

THINGS THAT DON’T APPEAL TO ME

Cathe Friedrich

Jillian Michaels

T-Tapp – I wish I could learn it, but I’m quite sure I’d be a T-Tapp flunkie.

Excessively heavy cardio

Sorry to be over-thinking all this. I'm not into changing my rotations every month or so. I want a plan over the long-term and I want to stick with it. I would prefer to avoid making new plans every month or so. I know that I am a bit OCD, to say the least :rolleyes:. I love to plan and organize, as you can probably tell by now. I'm trying to decide which of the 2 options would be better.

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on which of these two before I drive myself and everyone here nuts!

Thank you so much. :)

Edited by Negin in Grenada

Look at your daily schedule. How do you feel after each type of workout. Which l has the tightest schedule.

If you know that on Tuesday's you've got more fit in your day or must leave the house early, put the shorter workout there and start building the schedule like that. Another thing ton insider is if one workout leaves a bit more physically drained than others. Compare hang you will feel to what you ave to do.

I mostly the same routine--go to job A some days job B others, dance, 4H, other kid stuff. The days of the week are pretty much set. So, I plan workouts (hopefully daily) based everything else I have to do. Doing this I've stuck to exercising regularly better than I'd ever had 15 years ago.

So, rather than a every other day routine, set up the routine t match your life. It might be every other day, but ther might a few twists.

I like your poem, Negin. :)

Here's my suggestion:

Shoot for 30-45 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. Switch it up as often as you like. Video, rebounding, fast walking, etc. Whatever you choose. Your goal is just to work up to 45 minutes 5 days a week. Since you said you love swimming, pick it for two of the days so you are extra motivated.

Do pilates, bosu or barre two to three days a week. Add it on to the end of one of your cardios. If it's a swimming day that is cutting into your time, just do an intensive 10 minutes of core.

Kettle bells or any other strength training - add to end of cardio 2 days a week. I combine moves so they take less time - lunges with curls, plies with should raises, etc. Step it up more by doing weights on the bosu.

Yoga one day a week when you aren't doing anything else to refresh and give your body and extra stretch.

Thank you both so much. :)

Look at your daily schedule. How do you feel after each type of workout. Which l has the tightest schedule.

Betty, yes, this makes sense. I already do this a bit, but it's a good reminder.

I like your poem, Negin. :)

Thank you. I got the idea from Clinton Kelly (What Not to Wear) on Facebook. Dd and I keep singing our own versions in a high-pitched opera tone. Driving dh and ds nuts. :lol:

Here's my suggestion:

Shoot for 30-45 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. Switch it up as often as you like. Video, rebounding, fast walking, etc. Whatever you choose. Your goal is just to work up to 45 minutes 5 days a week. Since you said you love swimming, pick it for two of the days so you are extra motivated.

Do pilates, bosu or barre two to three days a week. Add it on to the end of one of your cardios. If it's a swimming day that is cutting into your time, just do an intensive 10 minutes of core.

Kettle bells or any other strength training - add to end of cardio 2 days a week. I combine moves so they take less time - lunges with curls, plies with should raises, etc. Step it up more by doing weights on the bosu.

Yoga one day a week when you aren't doing anything else to refresh and give your body and extra stretch.

I like all this and hope I can do it. I seldom am able to do more than 1 type of workout a day. Time, but the other reason is that I have found if I workout too intensely or for too long (too long meaning more than about 45 minutes-1 hour), I get ravenous. I don't like that.

I like your suggestions, however, and will do what I can. :)

Negin,

I would take anything that you associated with "dread factor" and take it off the list. Don't even consider them.

I would pick the plan that had you alternating in more pilates, since you like it so much. So, I vote option 2.

For *ME* the bulk of my longterm fitness plan needs to be something I really like. I can throw in cycles of other things I don't like. However those don't get me through fitness slumps.

I think your option #2 will give you a more well-rounded workout.

Barre, Pilates, and yoga will all focus on core (knees to shoulders) conditioning. Add whatever cardio makes you happy. Triceps conditioning is always a challenge. Bench dips are effective and quick for specific focus there.

I agree that life is too short to slog through an exercise pogram you dislike. Plus, it's unlikely to be effective when you're not mentally engaged - you tend to go through the motions without challenging yourself, or blow it off completely. (global "you")

I voted for option 2. I agree that you should do what you love and aim for a well rounded workout.

Personally I like to think of the health benefits of working out versus not looking like this or trying to look like that. A weightlifting book I have scoffs at the promise of longer, leaner muscles calling it a marketing ploy aimed at women. Weight lifting and exercise does not make women overly bulky like a man - we do not have enough testosterone in our bodies. Our bodies are genetically predisposed to being a certain shape and we should embrace that.

For many years I was so unhappy with the shape of my body though I was 15 lbs lighter than I am now and basically fit, not to mention younger (no post baby cellulite!). Now I accept the fact that I have muscular legs and I like it, I wish I could have spent my younger years liking it too! I am proud that I went from being pretty sedentary to exercising 6 days a week. I am proud that I don't need to take a break after every song in BodyStep class and that I don't get side cramps in BOSU class anymore because I am fitter. If this means my legs are muscular and my shoulders are broader I am proud of that too! :D

One more thing, I have no doubt that barre and ballet type workouts are fantastic but I think it is unreasonable to think the workout is going to give someone a lean dancer's body. There is a reason dancers are lean - that body type is generally the type that allows individuals to excel at dancing. There is no way my inherited german stocky body was ever going to be a dancer or will ever be long and lean!!! :lol:

Good luck with your new routine. Love your body! Get strong! Be fit!

Edited by SJ.

OP - if hard workouts are making you ravenous be sure to eat a good snack prior to your workout that includes carbs and protein. Think banana and cheese, apple and peanut butter, toast and nut butter, egg and fruit. This should help fuel you through your workout. Be sure to also eat a healthy protein and carb source after your workout as well.

One more thing, I have no doubt that barre and ballet type workouts are fantastic but I think it is unreasonable to think the workout is going to give someone a lean dancer's body. There is a reason dancers are lean - that body type is generally the type that allows individuals to excel at dancing. There is no way my inherited german stocky body was ever going to be a dancer or will ever be long and lean!!! :lol:

I agree and disagree (with the whole post. I snipped a portion to keep this shorter.) I will never have a long lean body. I'm short legged and curvy. I'm embracing that. BUT the way you concentrate your exercise DOES alter your body. The swimming she loves WOULD bulk up her shoulders more. Pilates concentrated on "core" work so that your waist, thighs, and abs do develop more muscle and firm up (not talking about spot weight loss, but better muscle tone.). Runners get great legs. When stairmasters were the rage, people found their rear ends getting bigger. :)

I think those specifics are more important once you're getting in consistent, basic exercise. And maybe only if you're putting in significant amounts. But it's one reason I prefer to do different exercises and hit different muscles. Plus, I get bored. :)

Edited by snickelfritz

I agree and disagree (with the whole post. I snipped a portion to keep this shorter.) I will never have a long lean body. I'm short legged and curvy. I'm embracing that. BUT the way you concentrate your exercise DOES alter your body. The swimming she loves WOULD bulk up her shoulders more. Pilates concentrated on "core" work so that your waist, thighs, and abs do develop more muscle and firm up (not talking about spot weight loss, but better muscle tone.). Runners get great legs. When stairmasters were the rage, people found their rear ends getting bigger. :)

I think those specifics are more important once you're getting in consistent, basic exercise. And maybe only if you're putting in significant amounts. But it's one reason I prefer to do different exercises and hit different muscles. Plus, I get bored. :)

Yes your body will be altered by any exercise you do BUT I don't think the average person who exercises will have extreme results. Balance is best, be well rounded in your fitness endeavors. Not everyone who swims regularly for exercise will look like Dara Torres - five time Olympian, winning silver in all three of her events at the age of 41 in 2008! Isn't she awesome?

29torres-190.jpg

dara_torres.jpg

Yes your body will be altered by any exercise you do BUT I don't think the average person who exercises will have extreme results. Balance is best, be well rounded in your fitness endeavors. Not everyone who swims regularly for exercise will look like Dara Torres - five time Olympian, winning silver in all three of her events at the age of 41 in 2008! Isn't she awesome?

Yeah, she probably works out more than an hour a day.:tongue_smilie:

I did crew for one semester in college. It was a 2 hour workout. I had AWESOME shoulder, arm, and back muscles. Not huge, but just defined. Plus, I was generally at my best fitness level ever. I got lots of comments........sigh...... But, then I think about the 2 hours, 5 days a week, that it took to get there. And I was just overall very toned. NOTHING like what Dara looks like.

Thank you all so much.

I would take anything that you associated with "dread factor" and take it off the list. Don't even consider them.

Yes. This is true. I've officially taken Kettlebells off. Very happy to do so. I may do stuff like Tae Bo or Jillian Michaels from time to time, but seldom. Thank you for this reminder. Boils down to common sense. :D

Add whatever cardio makes you happy. Triceps conditioning is always a challenge. Bench dips are effective and quick for specific focus there.

Thank you. :)

sharing baked goods by the metric ton with those around me. I find fattening up the friends and coworkers goes a long way to making me thin and fit. :D

I wish this were true for me. Baked goods are the bane of my existence. :tongue_smilie:

A weightlifting book I have scoffs at the promise of longer, leaner muscles calling it a marketing ploy aimed at women. Weight lifting and exercise does not make women overly bulky like a man - we do not have enough testosterone in our bodies. Our bodies are genetically predisposed to being a certain shape and we should embrace that.

One more thing, I have no doubt that barre and ballet type workouts are fantastic but I think it is unreasonable to think the workout is going to give someone a lean dancer's body.

You raise some really interesting points. Thank you so much for your very kind encouragement. :)

I have noticed from my own personal experience that when I've lifted heavy weights too often or done certain forms of exercise, I have bulked up quite a bit more. I haven't wanted to believe this, since I've also read time and time again how this is not possible since women don't produce enough testosterone, but that has not been my personal experience. :confused: I have a friend who did Leslie Sansone walks every day and bulked up in her lower body area. No other changes were made and she had trouble fitting into her jeans. I guess everyone is different and reacts differently to various forms of exercise.

I'm quite sure that my body won't get lean and like a dancer's. I'm very curvy and there's no way I would ever look like a ballerina :lol:. But at least, it's a lower-impact form of exercise and might, just might, help me to not bulk up as much.

OP - if hard workouts are making you ravenous be sure to eat a good snack prior to your workout that includes carbs and protein.

Thanks for this reminder. I do this most of the time, but I have found that for very rigorous workouts and/or workouts that last longer than 45 minutes or an hour, I am still ravenous afterwards, regardless. Swimming does this to me big-time. Yet I love it and will continue to do it, just not as often as before.

I'm short legged and curvy. I'm embracing that. BUT the way you concentrate your exercise DOES alter your body. The swimming she loves WOULD bulk up her shoulders more. Pilates concentrated on "core" work so that your waist, thighs, and abs do develop more muscle and firm up (not talking about spot weight loss, but better muscle tone.). Runners get great legs. When stairmasters were the rage, people found their rear ends getting bigger.

Yes, when I used to run (which I can no longer do), my lower body was in fabulous shape. When I focused on weights and resistance training, my upper body got rather bulky and I don't like it. I have pictures to prove it.

it's one reason I prefer to do different exercises and hit different muscles. Plus, I get bored.

Yes, me too. I need variety to prevent boredom, plus, I'd rather focus on various body parts and all the different benefits.

I don't think the average person who exercises will have extreme results. Balance is best, be well rounded in your fitness endeavors.

Absolutely. Balance is key.

Dara Torres - five time Olympian, winning silver in all three of her events at the age of 41 in 2008! Isn't she awesome?

Personally, I don't really care for her body. I guess I'm the lone dissenter here. To each her own. Her body is too extreme for me and just overly muscular. Appreciation for various body types can be so subjective.

I do know that even if I were to swim for hours and hours a day, there's no way that I would ever look like her.

Thank you all once again. :D I'm excited and feel motivated and am getting ready to make some positive changes.

TI do know that even if I were to swim for hours and hours a day, there's no way that I would ever look like her.

Neither would she. That's additional work after swimming that gets her to that form. ;)

I'm a runner who runs several marathons a year. I was a swimmer in my youth and now swim with a masters swim team, with butterfly as my specialty. I still have regular-sized shoulders and a pear-shaped lower half. Cardio workouts alone don't change the body shape for some of us. I do think I see a difference with things like yoga, so I would definitely give the barre workout an every-other-day whirl. In fact, I'd work up to occasionally doing that and a shorter cardio program the same day.

Have fun, and don't be afraid to evolve your program throughout the year!

I know that I'm driving everyone nuts with all my workout questions. I'm sorry.

I think it's great! Gives me new ideas, reading everyone else's.

Option 2

Day 1: Bare OR Callanetics – alternating

Day 2: Pilates OR Yoga (alternating)

Day 3: Other Workout (not barre, pilates, yoga - but cardio, rebounding, swimming, etc.)

This option would give more variety and a greater chance to include Pilates/Yoga, which are very beneficial, and which I love.

I guess my question really is:

Should I do Barre/Callanetics every OTHER day or every 2-3 days?

BODY TYPE

I would love to have a leaner-looking body. I tend to bulk up quite easily – mostly in my shoulders and upper body, but also it can happen in the thighs. When I’m at my ideal weight or shape, I’m an hourglass.

When I gain weight, I’m much more of an apple.

My triceps and my core are my biggest problem areas. I really dislike those areas of my body.

Based on your goals and what you like, I would suggest option 2 for you.

I like to lift weights, so I lift weights 2 days on, one day off. I do easy cardio (walking) for an hour 3-4 days per week, and half an hour on a stationary bike twice per week. I embrace my bulky muscles;).

However, I do throw in Callanetics every now and then, just to mix it up and confuse my body. I find doing this really helps me. So, I would suggest throwing in something you don't really like (Jillian Michaels?) maybe once a month.

Sorry to be over-thinking all this. I'm not into changing my rotations every month or so. I want a plan over the long-term and I want to stick with it. I would prefer to avoid making new plans every month or so. I know that I am a bit OCD, to say the least :rolleyes:. I love to plan and organize, as you can probably tell by now. I'm trying to decide which of the 2 options would be better.

I do change my plan every 2 months, and I find it helps. If you don't want to do that, I would suggest planning something that is completely different from the usual at least once per month. Long hike/bike ride, take a kettlebell class, etc.

Good luck!

That's additional work after swimming that gets her to that form. ;)

Okay, that's good to know :). I thought so also. She looks very athletic and it can't possibly all be from swimming.

I would definitely give the barre workout an every-other-day whirl. In fact, I'd work up to occasionally doing that and a shorter cardio program the same day.

Have fun, and don't be afraid to evolve your program throughout the year!

Thank you. :D

I like to lift weights, so I lift weights 2 days on, one day off. I do easy cardio (walking) for an hour 3-4 days per week, and half an hour on a stationary bike twice per week. I embrace my bulky muscles;).

However, I do throw in Callanetics every now and then, just to mix it up and confuse my body. I find doing this really helps me. So, I would suggest throwing in something you don't really like (Jillian Michaels?) maybe once a month.

I do change my plan every 2 months, and I find it helps. If you don't want to do that, I would suggest planning something that is completely different from the usual at least once per month. Long hike/bike ride, take a kettlebell class, etc.

Thanks so much. :)

Thank you everyone. Your replies are so helpful and greatly appreciated. :D