Menu

Bahasa Indonesia Resources?

Bayt ul-Hikmah

I generally prefer Pimsleur over RS (and it's cheaper), but it's not really geared for kids. My son was able to buy food at the bazaar, get a taxi, and take care of other basic tasks when we moved here because of Pimsleur. He also could order various types of alcohol (he did Russian) and discuss adults' jobs with them if he wanted to. I would hope that Bahasa wouldn't have such an emphasis on alcoholic beverages.

With RS (this was Persian) none of us would have been able to actually say much to anyone. However, RS is more suited to children.

It's frustrating trying to find language resources for less-commonly taught languages. It took us a long time to find some good courses for Tajik and Uzbek, and those ended up being from a university. You might try finding a couple of universities that have good Bahasa programs and see what they use.

Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you.

Hi Kate,

Just to let you know I'm Indonesian. Our language is the easiest in the world. No tenses, no subject-verb agreement .. easy peasy. Many vocabs are from Arabic.

A while ago, I found a website on learning bahasa. It's by a mixed couple (Indonesian and American). Okay, this is the website: http://www.learningindonesian.com

Btw, are you going to be in Jakarta ? I hope not ...:). Huge traffic jam.

Thank you so much for the replies!

Amira:

That is just what I imagined. I think that Pimsleur would be great for me, but I can't imagine it capturing the interest of my children. I just discovered that my library has Pimsleur Indonesian (yay!), so I will check that out and perhaps try Rosetta Stone for the boys.

Dian:

No tenses?! No subject-verb agreement?! I'm in love already. :D After so many years of studying Arabic, that sounds lovely. Thank you for the link, I will definitely look into that. As for where we will be... we will be closer to Jakarta than I would like (I fear the traffic!). We will be south and a bit west, where Banten, West Java, and the Jakarta Capital Region meet. It will no doubt be an adventure!

stripe:

We like visitors!

We had our boys start Rosetta Stone and they had a great jump on language learning. They did it for 20 mins a day 4-5 times a day for 5 months before we came and it was amazing what they had picked up and were able to start using when we arrived. Where are you going to be located? We are pretty remote in Sumatra.

Go luck with language. Its a blast seeing the kids speak and use another language.

Angie

Thank you so much for the replies!

Amira:

That is just what I imagined. I think that Pimsleur would be great for me, but I can't imagine it capturing the interest of my children. I just discovered that my library has Pimsleur Indonesian (yay!), so I will check that out and perhaps try Rosetta Stone for the boys.

Dian:

No tenses?! No subject-verb agreement?! I'm in love already. :D After so many years of studying Arabic, that sounds lovely. Thank you for the link, I will definitely look into that. As for where we will be... we will be closer to Jakarta than I would like (I fear the traffic!). We will be south and a bit west, where Banten, West Java, and the Jakarta Capital Region meet. It will no doubt be an adventure!

stripe:

We like visitors!

Not only that ... you can use the same pronouns for both subject and object. No infinitives. No linking verb (like arabic).

E.g.: if you want to translate this sentence into Indonesian (I want to see him), then you can say: I want see he.

He wants to see me --> He want see I. (no subj- verb agreement, remember ?)

See ?

it's easy !!

Between banten and jakarta ? What city would that be ?

If you're in west java, you will be exposed to the local language as well.

Not only that ... you can use the same pronouns for both subject and object. No infinitives. No linking verb (like arabic).

E.g.: if you want to translate this sentence into Indonesian (I want to see him), then you can say: I want see he.

He wants to see me --> He want see I. (no subj- verb agreement, remember ?)

See ?

it's easy !!

That's awesome. I could use an easy to learn language. Count me in! I'm kicking "Plan Indonesia" into high gear, effective immediately!

One more: no 'he' and 'she'. Only 'it' for both masculine and female.

I was so confused when I learned English back then because of 'she' and 'he'. I thought English was difficult. But of course, I didn't know that there are many languages 'worse' than English ....:).