Menu

Book ideas for dd14...Terry Pratchett...

My daughter recommends

Un Lun Dun by China Mieville

from the Amazon description: "What is Un Lun Dun?

It is London through the looking glass, an urban Wonderland of strange delights where all the lost and broken things of London end up . . . and some of its lost and broken people, too–including Brokkenbroll, boss of the broken umbrellas; Obaday Fing, a tailor whose head is an enormous pin-cushion, and an empty milk carton called Curdle. Un Lun Dun is a place where words are alive, a jungle lurks behind the door of an ordinary house, carnivorous giraffes stalk the streets, and a dark cloud dreams of burning the world. It is a city awaiting its hero, whose coming was prophesied long ago, set down for all time in the pages of a talking book."

Heir Apparent by Vivian Vande Velde

from School Library Journal: "All of the elements of a good fantasy are present in this adventure. Giannine Bellisario is about to celebrate her 14th birthday. This year, she actually receives a present from her father on time. It is a gift certificate to any Rasmussem Gaming Center Virtual Reality Arcade. Crossing a picket line formed by CPOC (Citizens to Protect Our Children) to enter, she decides to use her certificate for a total-immersion game called Heir Apparent. The object is to be crowned king. When the demonstrators damage the center, the protagonist is on her own and must complete the game successfully in order to escape permanent brain damage. Ghosts, witches, wizards, and magical tools help her as she races against time and faces many setbacks. Challenges range from barbarian attacks and peasant uprisings to a giant dragon. In addition, the half brothers and the hostile queen have treacherous plans to keep the crown for themselves. This adventure includes a cast of intriguing characters and personalities. The feisty heroine has a funny, sarcastic sense of humor and succeeds because of her ingenuity and determination. This unique combination of futuristic and medieval themes will appeal to fans of fantasy and science fiction.

Lana Miles, Duchesne Academy, Houston, TX"

Regards,

Kareni

Robert Asprin's Myth books are, indeed, one of the closest "If you like this you'll like this" matches for Terry Pratchett, I think. And Hitchhiker's Guide is a good match too.

But other possibilities...

Neil Gaiman if she hasn't gone there yet

Diana Wynne Jones - maybe start with The Merlin Conspiracy or the Crestomanci books - silly but well written fantasy that is also a little twisty

Robin McKinley, especially The Blue Sword or Pegasus - much more serious fantasy

The Princess Bride - it's also in that same funny fantasy vein

I could go on... but I'm guessing she's read some of this...

Kareni,

The feisty heroine has a funny, sarcastic sense of humor and succeeds because of her ingenuity and determination.

This sounds perfect for my daughter. Un Lun Dun also looks great. Thanks!

Edited by Raini

Robert Asprin's Myth books are, indeed, one of the closest "If you like this you'll like this" matches for Terry Pratchett, I think. And Hitchhiker's Guide is a good match too.

She's read Hitchhiker's, but not the Myth books.

But other possibilities...

Neil Gaiman if she hasn't gone there yet

Graveyard book read. Would you suggest anything specific by Gaiman? Are they all high school appropriate? Any to avoid?

Diana Wynne Jones - maybe start with The Merlin Conspiracy or the Crestomanci books - silly but well written fantasy that is also a little twisty

I'll check these out..

Robin McKinley, especially The Blue Sword or Pegasus - much more serious fantasy

The Princess Bride - it's also in that same funny fantasy vein

She's read McKinley and Princess Bride.

I could go on... but I'm guessing she's read some of this...

I'm open to any more suggestions. I'm making a library list for those I don't buy.

Thanks!

Edited by Raini