Menu

Favorite history for middle school age - please share

mommagruber

We are going to use Ancient Civilizations and the Bible. It looks really fun yet very thorough. It is reasonably priced, and you can get good deals on finding it new. It can be used for 5th - 12th again and again, and you can pull in younger ones if you buy the activity book. What I really like about it is that even though it gives activity choices like a unit study, it is self contained and you NEED very few other books. They would certainly add to it but not necessary.

Some things we have liked:

Galore Park history books (British history)

Anything by Guerber (Rome, Greece, US history)

Dorothy Mills history books (Memoria Press just reprinted these with workbooks I think)

Famous Men Series

Killer Angels (US Civil War Battle of Gettysburg -- my 7th grader is reading this now and loves it)

What area of history is he particularly interested in, or is it everything?

Historical fiction has always been a hit with my history-loving ones, there is a lot of great fiction out there that really gives you a feel for the different times.

I am prereading k12's Human Odyssey Book 3 ("Moderns" which is about 1850 to present day, with a little review of the 17th and 18th centuries). It is really good--flows well, understandable, gives some primary sources, gives you a taste now and again of literature of the time...I am LOVING it. Perfect for 7-8 grades. We are going to use it for 7th grade, when we do Moderns. I will be coordinating it with TOG.

We love the Dorothy Mills books, and they are non consumable.

I also like the National Geographic Almanac of American History and Almanac of World History as encyclopedia for upper middle school.

We also use the Catholic School Textbook Project books to offer a religious POV to our studies.