Menu

Japanese wooden practice swords

Ds and I want to do some sword training. We have padded mashoonga, but we're ready to upgrade.

I've looked at some on amazon, but they all get mixed reviews. I think we want wood, preferably something ideal for sparring. We don't get too rough, but I don't want something that will break the first time we hit them together.

Price is an issue too.

Also if you know of any good DVD training. We're looking for something to use as our winter workout program. :D

BuJin has been struggling financially lately.

I got mine from Kiyota Company in Boston, but they do not have a web presence. I was very pleased with the quality.

The latest contact info I have for Kiyota is (800)783-2232 -- you'd have to call him for a catalog. They only do telephone or mail orders.

Maybe an eskrima stick would be an acceptable substitute? They're pretty inexpensive, but very sturdy. If you google it, I think it's spelled "escrima" in the States.

Escrima have a very different feel than swords, but might be good for light sparring. We use these at our dojo, but we do arnis (Filipino stick fighting). The rattan shreds and peels instead of cracking, so there is less risk of a piece flying off if it takes a hard hit.

Escrima have a very different feel than swords, but might be good for light sparring. We use these at our dojo, but we do arnis (Filipino stick fighting). The rattan shreds and peels instead of cracking, so there is less risk of a piece flying off if it takes a hard hit.

Interesting about the rattan!

I dated a guy who did eskrima, and it was beautiful to watch. I fenced, and it struck me as remarkably similar in terms of art and motion despite the difference in tools. You're right, though - the sticks would be so much thicker, right? Probably even different grips.

I love that you do this.

I wish I lived in a more metro area that offered these things.