Menu

Quick! I need some great ideas for an 8yo girl for Christmas

My in-laws are in the midst of a move and want a big/valuable gift for dd 8yo rather than buying a bunch of little things. I had suggested a pogo stick but unfortunately they waited on ordering it and it's now out of stock. I know for you Americans it'd be easy to find one ;) but believe me I have looked everywhere around here and there aren't any in stock. I was hoping to find something around the $60 price point but I think the IL's would be okay up to $100.

So - I need a new idea! Dd has been saying that she wants a doll stroller that is tall enough for her to use but I've resisted because it is BIG and because I'm baffled at the thought of an $80 doll stroller :001_huh:

There is a Canadian doll like the American Girl dolls, but again, $100 for a doll baffles me and I would prefer to find something a little cheaper for them to get her. Any of the cheaper versions I'm aware of seem to be out of stock.

Ideas??

ETA: They got ds 4yo a Leapster Explorer and dd 6yo a Barbie camper van, for comparison's sake.

Edited by Perogi

Gotz dolls are nicely made and a bit less expensive than AG. Not sure if there's a Pottery Barn Kids code out right now and if you could use that where you are. Barnes and NOble (again, not sure if online shopping there is something you can do) had the Karito Kids dolls (more modern in style than many of the AG dolls) on sale during one of their big sales. Maybe something like a Corolle doll? They have some geared toward older girls.

These are the things in that price range that my 7.5 yo has been eyeing (not getting most of them but are on her "I want" list). Don't know how you feel about electronic gadgets, but my DD has always been careful with hers (and is an only child), so there is no issue with damage control:

razor scooter $40-$75ish

portable video camcorder $50-up (considering because I want her to stop using my iPhone for this)

point and shoot camera - $45 -up (she actually has one, but thought I'd add)

Guitar or electronic keyboard (target kids versions start $40)

beanbag for her room $50-up

easy bake oven $50

Wii games (if you have a wii)

In this price range, my requirement is that it has to last her to the next age level (11/12 in this case), so I don't mind buying her something that may seem too "old" for her.

Edited by piraterose