Menu

What "regular games" do you now see the therapy value in?

rafiki

Well for the youngest in the crowd, any games from the I Can Do It! company are good. They integrate lots of language, turn-taking, vision, social skills, etc., and many of them are cooperative (helping with the perfectionist who don't lose well) too. I'm huge for puzzles these days and origami, any of the logic games from Timberdoodle. We've been enjoying Day and Night recently, and I just got SmartCar to try on ds3. Trucky3 is really cool, but it's too hard for ds really to do right now. It would probably blow dd12 out of the water, just haven't tried it yet. When she gets squirrelly, I'll try it on her. Right now she's busying herself important her writing assignments from 1st semester into Scrivener so she can edit and re-do them. That seems crazy, but it's mind-boggling to me HOW MOTIVATED this child has been on the writing front this year. The writing assignments threw her for a loop, and a lot of it was that she didn't have the EF to comprehend the structure the teacher wanted. So, wanting to please her, dd is literally going back and re-doing them! Scrivener is amazing. She can literally set up the structure she needs and start filling in. She's not linear, so she needed this tool where she could get her thoughts down and then rearrange to fit a structure. And lest somebody tell me not to worry about structure, let's just say this is going UP and a good thing. Her writing is very interesting, verbal, just all over the place. She didn't *get* the idea of structure, no matter how her teacher told her. So I'm hoping this software will let her pull it in, visualize, and ultimately make it less tasking. It utterly wiped her out doing the assignments her (scattered) way.

Well that's off on a tangent! I've been thinking of trying some adult card games on her. We haven't played much solitaire (save the kid versions we played for math when she was little). I was also dreadful at Hearts in high school. Apparently it took more working memory than I have or something, because I kept forgetting the rules and annoying people, lol. So surely that's medicinal and therapeutic. And of course it's something she can play with other people. My dad taught us cribbage when we were this age. He played it a LOT in the Navy, so it took a while to get good enough to beat him. I haven't played in YEARS, mercy. If I taught her, she could play with him. I think that social, long-term thing is good.

Do you have air hockey? That's the next thing on my hit list. That sounds terrible or extravagant, but I think it would be very good for their processing speed, etc.

You can always get more Wii games. Have you tried any of the Mario games? I have a feeling they're going to be very hard for her, haven't tried them yet.

I just got Rivers, Roads, and Rails to try on ds at some point. It's a tile-laying game but simplified for kids. You build, of course, rivers, roads, and railroad lines.

I found mention of various Haba games in other threads, but they're so pricey I haven't been able to compel myself. Not that I don't want to, sniff, but they really are pricey. If he were a year younger, I'd buy the orchard game. They have a socks game that is marvelous, but we have an app on our phone that is essentially the same thing. At some point the apps and reality are overlapping, kwim?

The other thing your kids are still young enough to do is go back and play Playmobil. Have you looked at the sets? They have them for history, zoo, school, circus, you name it. If stores don't have it, the manufacturer website does. I have the playmobil barn, and my dd greatly enjoys it. I'm not saying she drags it out for herself, but if it's out it's DEFINITELY cool enough to lure her in. It has lots of cool pieces. It leaves her lamenting that she didn't get playmobil when she was little. But you know, I didn't know *how* to play with it then or *why* it was so important. Now we use it for language, and it's a good way to work on social skills as you practice dialogues and creating stories with the characters. So you pick something they are interested in and TEACH them social skills via the toys. I've learned how to play watching the ST. It's pretty marvelous. :)

We love games here!

Mostly, my knowledge is for the 3-6 set. It all started with using cariboo to get ds to say the word ball when he was 2.5. We were using PROMPT with ds at the time and the b sound is the easiest to start with. I can still remember how he tried to "self prompt" himself with his fingers to get the sound out. He had both me and his SLP in tears over how determined he was. That game saw us through a lot of development in his language - turn taking, two word utterances, hiding the key from view so that he would have to ask me where it was...

For the younger crowd I love the I Can Do It! games and the Melissa and Doug Get up and Go games for language, auditory processing, direction following. We also had a great time with Pengaloo and Froggie Boggie (memory games).

Mystery Garden is a great one for language as well.

Pass the Bomb Junior - categories and rapid naming

Feel and Find - describing skills

Hyper Dash - processing speed

Make and Break - visual processing

Clever Castle

Castle Logic

Charades

Simon Flash Cubes - visual memory

These next few are big in our line up right now:

Q-bitz - visual processing. This one is tough for me!

Backseat Drawing junior - fab for giving and following directions

Telepaths- I just got this one for ds. I am using it to target perspective taking.

I don't think I use any game the way it is suppose to be played though. I am always looking for how I can up the ante and target more then its intended purpose.

OhE - I could not agree more about the importance and value of pretend play and how effectively you can target language and social skills etc thru play.

Jennifer-72, you need to fill in your sig! It's not very often I meet someone on here who has done PROMPT. How old is your dc? Sounds like you're a little bit ahead of me. Your list is FABULOUS!! You're right, that's where we're going. You're just ahead of me on this. :)

And yes, they play Cariboo is ST quite a bit. We only go in once a month (because I work with him the rest of the time and the drive is 2.5 hours each way), so I try to have something new or over the top for him to do when he gets there. Last time they played the Richard Scarry Airport game, and that was terrific, so much language. Your things are all the next step up, things he'll grow into. Gotta look up that Backseat Drawing. That would totally wig out dd, lol.

Jennifer-72, you need to fill in your sig! It's not very often I meet someone on here who has done PROMPT. How old is your dc? Sounds like you're a little bit ahead of me. Your list is FABULOUS!! You're right, that's where we're going. You're just ahead of me on this. :)

And yes, they play Cariboo is ST quite a bit. We only go in once a month (because I work with him the rest of the time and the drive is 2.5 hours each way), so I try to have something new or over the top for him to do when he gets there. Last time they played the Richard Scarry Airport game, and that was terrific, so much language. Your things are all the next step up, things he'll grow into. Gotta look up that Backseat Drawing. That would totally wig out dd, lol.

Ds who has PDD-NOS and was thought to have apraxia, just turned seven at the end of November. So we have played and altered those games to suit our purposes for the last 4 years. All of those games I listed have played a big part in getting ds to where he is today.

Off to work on a signature:)

I've added some of these to my wish list too. Did you see the Make N Break one has a tong version? I love the Ravensburger puzzles and games.

That is actually on the list for this x-mas.

I forgot another game that is a big hit around here Jungle Jive ( I think it is a ravensburger game as well) It is great for working on balance and motor planning.

Hopscotch

Toss Across

Catch (with all different size balls)

Simon Says

Kerplunk

those steel ball/wooden mazes (turn the knob to move the ball through the maze things)

homemade balance beams (check regularly for stability)

Soccer

Jump Ropes & hula hoops (roll and catch; you can do more than just swoop the hips).