Menu

Guide for Henle that is a bit faster than Cheryl Lowe's MP Guide?

Halcyon

:lurk5: We're attempting to use Lowe's schedule at double pace but we don't like it. I don't want to take years and years just to get through the first book.

That's us. :) I think I'd like to get through Henle 1 in 2 years. I think I'll have to take a risk on MODG.

Halcyon, I've nearly decided to switch to MODG for ds#2. I'll have to wait until after Christmas to afford it, but I think it's worth a try!

My third son will probably still use MP. I think the slow pace will be a good fit for him.

I would love to hear what you think of it. I just wish I could see sample pages! Maybe you would be kind enough to snap a few photos of the inside?? :tongue_smilie: ;)

You know, I saw a friend's copy once but I don't remember anything about it. I will say though -- their tests for Henle are awesome. Much better than anything else I have seen. Maybe if you start a new thread someone who uses them will chime in? Or maybe if you email them they might give you a sample page?

You know, I saw a friend's copy once but I don't remember anything about it. I will say though -- their tests for Henle are awesome. Much better than anything else I have seen. Maybe if you start a new thread someone who uses them will chime in? Or maybe if you email them they might give you a sample page?

Thank you. The tests would certainly be useful!

We are about 70% done with her first guide but we'd like to move a bit more quickly. Other than simply doubling up on the assignments in her next book, is there another Henle guide that moves at a bit of a faster pace?

That's us. :) I think I'd like to get through Henle 1 in 2 years.

OK, (referring back to my post on your thread on grade 5 plans) I was pretty sure it was you who started this thread!

Here are my thoughts (in light of your other thread) - getting a 10-11 yo through Henle in one to two years is pretty ambitious. Not that it can't be done, but if you are going to try and do it along with all your other plans, I think you're going to burn him out. With that said, we started off using the MP guides when my son was in grade 6. I, too, did not want to spend a whole year on the first guide, a second year on the second guide, etc.. So, we started doubling up, until I realized, "Hey, there's a pattern here!" So, I figured out what the study pattern was, and wrote out my own pattern. It basically goes like this: "If the page has this on it, do thus-n-such activity. If the page has that on it, do this other activity. And so on. Various activities for various types of things presented in the pages of Henle." If you like, I can type up my study pattern for you. I put it in the front of the Henle book, and I just refer to it every day to see what we need to do when we encounter certain types of activity in the book. (vocab? write in notebook, recite aloud three times. grammar form? write in notebook recite aloud three times. Latin to English translation? read in Latin, translate into English aloud for Mom. etc.)

And with this pattern, we are not locked into a certain time frame. We can progress as quickly or as slowly as needed. And on that note, my son, who is pretty quick at picking things up, is in his third year of studying Henle (he's in the final third of the book, too). There have been times recently when he has said, "This is getting to be too much. I am starting to get confused, things are jumbling in my brain, I can't remember the more recent concepts." So, I am not sure now if he will be able to complete the Henle I book in the three years I had planned. It just plain old gets more intense. I told him a lot of this later stuff will be reviewed in Henle II, but his brain isn't accepting that right now. His brain is just full from math/grammar/writing/logic/Latin/etc..

Anyway, let me know if you want me to write up my study pattern for Henle I.

OK, (referring back to my post on your thread on grade 5 plans) I was pretty sure it was you who started this thread!

Here are my thoughts (in light of your other thread) - getting a 10-11 yo through Henle in one to two years is pretty ambitious. Not that it can't be done, but if you are going to try and do it along with all your other plans, I think you're going to burn him out. With that said, we started off using the MP guides when my son was in grade 6. I, too, did not want to spend a whole year on the first guide, a second year on the second guide, etc.. So, we started doubling up, until I realized, "Hey, there's a pattern here!" So, I figured out what the study pattern was, and wrote out my own pattern. It basically goes like this: "If the page has this on it, do thus-n-such activity. If the page has that on it, do this other activity. And so on. Various activities for various types of things presented in the pages of Henle." If you like, I can type up my study pattern for you. I put it in the front of the Henle book, and I just refer to it every day to see what we need to do when we encounter certain types of activity in the book. (vocab? write in notebook, recite aloud three times. grammar form? write in notebook recite aloud three times. Latin to English translation? read in Latin, translate into English aloud for Mom. etc.)

And with this pattern, we are not locked into a certain time frame. We can progress as quickly or as slowly as needed. And on that note, my son, who is pretty quick at picking things up, is in his third year of studying Henle (he's in the final third of the book, too). There have been times recently when he has said, "This is getting to be too much. I am starting to get confused, things are jumbling in my brain, I can't remember the more recent concepts." So, I am not sure now if he will be able to complete the Henle I book in the three years I had planned. It just plain old gets more intense. I told him a lot of this later stuff will be reviewed in Henle II, but his brain isn't accepting that right now. His brain is just full from math/grammar/writing/logic/Latin/etc..

Anyway, let me know if you want me to write up my study pattern for Henle I.

THis is SO helpful! We really are a family that moves quickly and works hard at certain moments, and then slows down to "digest" and review at other moments. So being able to "switch it up" with Henle sounds wonderful, and I would love to see your guide. We do school year-round, with probably only six weeks off throughout the year, so getting through Henle in 2 years or so may be doable.

When we started Henle last summer, I just wanted to see if it was a fit; I didn't' want to rush it. But now that I can see it works for my son, I can also see that, FOR THE MOMENT, he can pick up the pace (whether _I_ can is another story, however).

So yes :) I'd love to see your guide.

Colleen, I would love to see your plans. DS 10 will be starting Henle in Jan. (he already has a year of Latin, but Henle is much more rigorous than what he's done) and I haven't bought any guides yet because I wasn't sure how necessary they are. Having a free guide to follow would make me very happy. :)

As a heads up, the MP guides really are great to have. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong, Colleen) that Colleen's guide builds on the MP guides, so you may need to buy them.

Kolbe academy has Henle latin course plans that come with quartlerly exams. They have samples on their website.

We are burned out of the MP materials having done FF and half of SF ( also Latina Christiana and prima Latina). It just got to be too much all at once without enough practice to master the simple things like knowing how to use acc case without having to chant the declensions. We've taken a break for a bit and are working on visual Latin and lingua Latina, but are going back to Henle soon.

I'd love to see your plans too colleen!

Btw did you all know that you can see Henle 1 and Henle grammar book on google books?

As a heads up, the MP guides really are great to have. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong, Colleen) that Colleen's guide builds on the MP guides, so you may need to buy them.

No, they don't build on the MP guides. I used the MP guides until I realized that Henle could be studied if I had a general pattern to follow. IOW, the guides helped me realize that language could be systematically studied. So, no, you don't need to buy the guides to do what I do. Besides, their guides only go to unit 5, I believe. Henle has more than that. I'm not sure what MP expected students to do after the second guide (unless they had abandoned the guides when they decided to make First-Fourth Forms - which I don't think are all published yet). But, the guides are a good beginning to Henle study, if you need a more detailed and daily plan to get started with. And, my plan is weaker on the quiz/test side of things, but I haven't worried (much) about that....probably because we drill systematically and there is SO MUCH translation work in Henle. (I'm open to good reasons why I should worry, though....)

Anyway, here goes:

Daily Oral Flashcard Drill:

- grammar forms

- grammar rules

- vocabulary (Latin to English, English to Latin)

- prayers and sayings (Latin to English)

Eventually, because they accumulate, you can't do ALL of the forms/rules/vocab/prayers/sayings every single day; so you have to spread these out as you see fit, too.

Also, I put all flashcards of recently-learned info. into one pile to review every day until committed to short-term memory, then I sort these into their respective piles (grammar forms, grammar rules, the various vocabulary piles such as "third declension feminine nouns," or "second conjugation verbs," etc.) for regular review during the daily drill.

Do the next page(s) in the Henle book:

- new information?

* read and discuss as you see fit for your child

- new grammar form(s)?

* write on flashcard (I do this - in high school the kids will do it)

* recite three times aloud

* write in grammar forms drill section of notebook

- new grammar rule?

* write in grammar rules section of notebook

- new vocabulary?

* nouns? decline orally

* adjectives? decline orally

* verbs? conjugate orally

* write in vocabulary drill section of notebook

- new word and usage notes?

* write in notes and word usage section of notebook

- new derivatives?

* write in derivatives section of notebook after discussing

- new exercise set?

* English to Latin? write out the Latin translation

* Latin to English? read the Latin aloud, translate to English aloud or written

Test Ideas:

- choose random sentences from recent translation exercises

- write them on paper

- close book

- translate

Oh, boy, typing all that out has made me realize we've been slacking on some things!!

posting, then going to look for another relevant thread that might also help you all....

No, they don't build on the MP guides. I used the MP guides until I realized that Henle could be studied if I had a general pattern to follow. IOW, the guides helped me realize that language could be systematically studied. So, no, you don't need to buy the guides to do what I do. Besides, their guides only go to unit 5, I believe. Henle has more than that. I'm not sure what MP expected students to do after the second guide (unless they had abandoned the guides when they decided to make First-Fourth Forms - which I don't think are all published yet). But, the guides are a good beginning to Henle study, if you need a more detailed and daily plan to get started with. And, my plan is weaker on the quiz/test side of things, but I haven't worried (much) about that....probably because we drill systematically and there is SO MUCH translation work in Henle. (I'm open to good reasons why I should worry, though....)

Anyway, here goes:

Daily Oral Flashcard Drill:

- grammar forms

- grammar rules

- vocabulary (Latin to English, English to Latin)

- prayers and sayings (Latin to English)

Eventually, because they accumulate, you can't do ALL of the forms/rules/vocab/prayers/sayings every single day; so you have to spread these out as you see fit, too.

Also, I put all flashcards of recently-learned info. into one pile to review every day until committed to short-term memory, then I sort these into their respective piles (grammar forms, grammar rules, the various vocabulary piles such as "third declension feminine nouns," or "second conjugation verbs," etc.) for regular review during the daily drill.

Do the next page(s) in the Henle book:

- new information?

* read and discuss as you see fit for your child

- new grammar form(s)?

* write in grammar forms drill section of notebook

- new grammar rule?

* write in grammar rules section of notebook

- new vocabulary?

* nouns? decline orally

* adjectives? decline orally

* verbs? conjugate orally

* write in vocabulary drill section of notebook

- new word and usage notes?

* write in notes and word usage section of notebook

- new derivatives?

* write in derivatives section of notebook after discussing

- new exercise set?

* English to Latin? write out the Latin translation

* Latin to English? read the Latin aloud, translate to English aloud or written

Test Ideas:

- choose random sentences from recent translation exercises

- write them on paper

- close book

- translate

Oh, boy, typing all that out has made me realize we've been slacking on some things!!

posting, then going to look for another relevant thread that might also help you all....

Thank you thank you thank you. Off to print and examine!

And you're saying that this allows you to complete Henle in...three years? I think I have to sit down and figure out logistically how many exercises a day we need to do.

No. I'm saying *I* planned for three years for my son. You can plan for however many years with your son, using this. You just have to decide how many pages per week/month/year you want to accomplish, and then do the plan for each page. You want to do 10 pages per day? Just follow the plan for each page's contents. You want to do 1 page per day? Same thing.

To do three years, I divided the book into thirds. Then for each year, I divide the number of pages by how many weeks of school I think we are going to do (usually around 40), and that's how many pages we have to apply the study pattern to each week.

I don't think in terms of *exercises.* I think in terms of *pages.* And then I apply *what my plan tells me to do with the content on each page.* And sometimes this allows me to cheat and do more pages each week. :D Because sometimes the pages are blank, have little content, have super easy exercises. But that also makes up for the pages that have 22 sentences to translate from English to Latin that take hours to do.:tongue_smilie: So this week, I might be able to "cheat" and do 6 pages instead of my planned 4, but next week I might only be able to do 2 pages due to those loooooooonnnnnngggggg exercise sets. But, 8 pages got done over two weeks, so I am still on track for the year.

Does that make sense?

No. I'm saying *I* planned for three years for my son. You can plan for however many years with your son, using this. You just have to decide how many pages per week/month/year you want to accomplish, and then do the plan for each page. You want to do 10 pages per day? Just follow the plan for each page's contents. You want to do 1 page per day? Same thing.

To do three years, I divided the book into thirds. Then for each year, I divide the number of pages by how many weeks of school I think we are going to do (usually around 40), and that's how many pages we have to apply the study pattern to each week.

I don't think in terms of *exercises.* I think in terms of *pages.* And then I apply *what my plan tells me to do with the content on each page.* And sometimes this allows me to cheat and do more pages each week. :D Because sometimes the pages are blank, have little content, have super easy exercises. But that also makes up for the pages that have 22 sentences to translate from English to Latin that take hours to do.:tongue_smilie: So this week, I might be able to "cheat" and do 6 pages instead of my planned 4, but next week I might only be able to do 2 pages due to those loooooooonnnnnngggggg exercise sets. But, 8 pages got done over two weeks, so I am still on track for the year.

Does that make sense?

Yes, perfect.

:D

And these are the progress tests you were referring to? I have been making my own, but these would save me some time!

Yes, I believe that's it. (Sorry it has taken me a couple of days to respond. I'm trying to stay off the computer!) I really really like them. They have reading passages and the student has to answer questions from them as well as the grammar questions. I have those tests, the answer key to the tests, and the answer key to the Henle textbook exercises, which is extremely helpful. I haven't compared them to other Henle resources, but I got them on recommendation from a friend who had used several and liked these the best. (She also had the syllabus but I have a problem with being told what to do when so I didn't get that!)

Hope that helps...

Yes, I believe that's it. (Sorry it has taken me a couple of days to respond. I'm trying to stay off the computer!) I really really like them. They have reading passages and the student has to answer questions from them as well as the grammar questions. I have those tests, the answer key to the tests, and the answer key to the Henle textbook exercises, which is extremely helpful. I haven't compared them to other Henle resources, but I got them on recommendation from a friend who had used several and liked these the best. (She also had the syllabus but I have a problem with being told what to do when so I didn't get that!)

Hope that helps...

Thank you!