Menu

Health Education?

Slipper

We're required to have Health Education to homeschool. I'm also required to have a lesson plan for all subjects. Health Education seems quite simple so I'm a bit puzzled about how to have a lesson plan for Health. Any thoughts on what I could write down in my lesson plan and/or activities that could be done to fulfill this requirement?

Also, for PE, on the days that she doesn't have an activity like karate or soccer, what do I write? That she'll be outside playing for twenty minutes?

Sorry if these are stupid questions......and thanks. :)

We're required to have Health Education to homeschool. I'm also required to have a lesson plan for all subjects. Health Education seems quite simple so I'm a bit puzzled about how to have a lesson plan for Health. Any thoughts on what I could write down in my lesson plan and/or activities that could be done to fulfill this requirement?

Also, for PE, on the days that she doesn't have an activity like karate or soccer, what do I write? That she'll be outside playing for twenty minutes?

Sorry if these are stupid questions......and thanks. :)

I'm not sure what your state's requirements say specifically. I live in PA which is one of the most regulated states and PE is a required subject. However, it doesn't say that it is required every single day, just that it's a required subject. Are you sure you have to account for PE every single day? I don't know a school district out there that has PE every single day lol. I think it's fine to say that you have karate and soccer for PE and that your daughter gets plenty of outside play time and leave it at that, rather than having to specifically account for it on a daily basis.

As for health, if you're interested, kidshealth.org has a free health curriculum that I use with my daughter. They have it for different grade levels and we just do it once a week or so- we read a couple of the articles, and then do one or two of the suggested activities...sometimes they have a printable quiz or an activity sheet/suggestion to go with the lesson.

http://kidshealth.org/classroom/

But in the past I've also just included a "summary" with my portfolio summing up the types of things we did for each "required subject" and for health I might stayed pretty informal rather than doing a "curriculum" and may have just included something like:

HEALTH & PHYSIOLOGY

We used “The Care & Keeping Of You, The Body Book For Girls†and “The Feelings Book, The Care & Keeping Of Your Emotions†for our Health curriculum this year.

We discuss the importance of proper nutrition and food groups (we also did a study on Nutrition as part of our Science curriculum this year and around that same time, our homeschool group met with a dietician at a local hospital). We also participated in a “Healthy Eating Tour†at Giant Supermarket.

We discuss the importance of getting enough rest and fresh air and exercise, brushing teeth and other personal hygiene, and we have age appropriate conversations on the dangers of cigarette, alcohol and drug use.

Alexa sees her medical doctor, eye doctor and dentist regularly.

...I think it can be pretty easy to do what works for YOU and YOUR educational goals, and then just make what you do fit whatever portfolio or reporting methods you have to work with.

Oh sorry, I live in Alabama.

NanceXToo - thanks for the link. I think that would work out perfectly for what I need. The cover school asked that I keep an outline with lesson plans and I was trying to sort it out now, rather than during the Christmas holidays. I had started writing out a daily outline, but I think I'm going to switch it to weekly lesson plans.

What age is your child?

I have a gr 1 text from 1965 called Health for All. It includes topics like nutrition (making good choices, trying new foods, eating balanced diet, what are good foods), dental hygiene inc losing teeth, knowing what doctor/nurses/eye doctors/dentists do and going for checkups, manners towards other kids (both classmates and younger siblings), basic household and classroom safety (avoiding tripping or making others trip, dangerous things to play with like guns or razor blades), crossing the street safely, and so on. I am using it as a quick supplement; it's pretty basic, but maybe that gives you some ideas for obvious things to include.

I think learning about how the body works is really fun. Thanks for that website, Nance. I got a big, free set of lesson plans from NIH on dental work for children, called Open Wide and Trek Inside. Maybe you'll find that useful too.

• 1 month later...

I just found this on the Internet Archive

Safe and healthy living : [growing big and strong] (1939)

(I think the Living Books Curriculum people reprinted this one?)

I have a volume for younger kids from this series, and it's not bad. At least it could give you some ideas.

ETA: One of the authors also wrote this one, which is aimed at teachers planning health education

http://www.archive.org/details/suggestionsforpr00andr

(I realize this thread is from last month!)

Edited by stripe

• 2 years later...