Menu

if you wear your baby....

I need help. I bought and will be returning a Boba 3G carrier as it has buckles/straps that are uncomfortable. I love the babyhawk mei tai I borrowed from a friend, but of course it doesn't have the padded waist to transfer weight to the lower body, making it a bit of a strain on my back now that she is 25lbs. I am just barely 5ft tall and have a short torso, so that might be the issue with the Boba. I don't know if an Ergo would fit better but will try one on on Tuesday or before. I am also a plus sized mom....with DD bOOks, so keep that in mind. I'm thinking the best option is a half buckle carrier, with the supportive waist belt to transfer weight to the lower body and the custom fit of a tied shoulder straps.

Also, I'm in Florida. It is HOT. MOst of the carriers I see are canvas, which sounds hot. The babyhawk is cotton I think.

I found this site, and they look great, but have never heard of them before so I'm cautious. And I can't find their return policy. http://babiesbeyondborders.com/catalog.php?category=22

I use an Ergo. DS is 22 months and we're finding its limitations with a comfortable support for him. The back only goes up to his armpits, so if he falls asleep he's either very floppy or woken up by the confining hood. It still is comfortable for me to wear him (I'm 5'2"), but not as much for him.

I do like a wrap, too, but in the winter it's too cumbersome with an active toddler and short trips. We're looking at a Beco next, something taller than the Ergo but just as easy to put on. I live in a stroller-unfriendly country and we'll need something for the next year at least.

Well, I'm 4'9" and 130 lbs, DD bOOks too. I use a wrap, tied in the standard front carry for my 16 lb baby boy, and the standard back carry for my 23 lb DD. This most recent one I got has extra length so I can just cross it in back and tie it in front (or cross it in front and tie it in back, if a back carry) instead of just tying to finish, and that makes a lot of difference in the comfort as far as my back and waist. Being able to spread the fabric helps a lot.

Tying it to my body has been the only way for me to get a good fit. I've tried dozens of carriers and only the extra long wrap and the ring sling have been good fits. The wrap is ten times more comfortable though.

I got this one through Lovey Duds on Etsy, and the fabric is much thinner and cooler (and holds shape better) than my others. I'm wearing a black one in Louisiana and am fine with it.

I think most manufacturers use some sort of canvas (usually made of cotton), because it's sturdier than quilting cotton. My Ergo and Kozy are both cotton canvas, I believe.

I'm 5' as well, and the Ergo (mine is 6 1/2 years old, and I know they have changed them a bit, so ymmv) works for me for a toddler, but it's a tiny bit too big -- I'm short enough that I can't quite tighten it small enough. I compensate by putting it lower on my hips.

I love wrapping, but for a toddler, I usually opt for the Ergo or the Kozy mei tai. Kozy is a great brand (and owned by a very sweet homeschooling mama). Some of their prints are heavier in weight than others, so you could ask them about a lighter-weight one.

I'm plus size with a short torso and DDs, and I've found the babyhawk OhSnap to be the most comfortable for when my kids got bigger. I had a mei tai like the regular babyhawk until my kids were about 25-30lbs, but I can carry my kids comfortably even now at 40lbs in the ohsnap. I also tried at least 5 other carriers (including the beco) and this is adjustable in so many ways it just makes it fit just right. Love it!

I found mine used on thebabywearer.com forums...amazon has them too with free returns.

http://www.amazon.com/BabyHawk-Snap-Carrier-Sophia-Black/dp/B004Q9SDMS/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1323553836&sr=1-1

I'm plus size with a short torso and DDs, and I've found the babyhawk OhSnap to be the most comfortable for when my kids got bigger. I had a mei tai like the regular babyhawk until my kids were about 25-30lbs, but I can carry my kids comfortably even now at 40lbs in the ohsnap. I also tried at least 5 other carriers (including the beco) and this is adjustable in so many ways it just makes it fit just right. Love it!

I found mine used on thebabywearer.com forums...amazon has them too with free returns.

http://www.amazon.com/BabyHawk-Snap-Carrier-Sophia-Black/dp/B004Q9SDMS/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1323553836&sr=1-1

Oh, what a great review! I really really really love the babyhawk, so I could see me like the oh snap, IF I can get it to fit. And at least I could return it, lol!