Menu

What is the difference between

Prentise Hall Science Explorer and CPO science?

How did you get your hands on the books?

Where did you purchase them?

Were you able to look at them before buying? How?

I don't really know what the difference between them is, other than different publishers. I am using CPO earth and space but I have never seen Prentis Hall.

I bought the student book and the teacher's edition used on Amazon for not very much.

I was not able to look at them before buying but I didn't pay a lot so I was ok with that. I also bought the Reader's Digest 'How the Earth Works' and "How the Universe Works" as a back up. I think I got those for .01 plus shipping so I was happy.

You can look at the California version of CPO student books online.

http://www.nhusd.k12.ca.us/node/52

But be aware this is only the student book and the 'investigations' book. Investigations are the experiments. The investigations book is available for free online at the CPO site along with other worksheets etc.

There is no teacher's guide online. I have found the teacher's book to be very, very helpful. It has all the answers to the questions and examples of what data the student should get for all the experiments. it has major discussion points etc.

Just as a heads up, this thread has links in the OP to the entire book online, if you'd like to take a look. If you have an ipad, you could do the whole thing online. We ended up buying the books for Life Science from another WTM-er. I like it. I don't LOVE it. I think it focuses a wee bit too much on vocabulary and detail to the neglect of the bigger picture. But assuming we decide to use it next year, we will supplement with Nebel, as well as a whole bunch of other books.

• 2 weeks later...
But assuming we decide to use it next year, we will supplement with Nebel, as well as a whole bunch of other books.

I think of CPO as a spine. With most subjects we have a spine and then lots of supplemental books. As a spine I think CPO is great. I wouldn't plan to use it as the ONLY science book for the year. I don't think I could ever find a single book that fit the bill for a year's study of science.