Menu

Make some second semester decisions for me :)

AimeeM

History -

Seton 6th grade history (first half of world history), All Ye Lands (Catholic Textbook Project), or Story of The World 2 (I should mention that we read book 1 and really didn't care for it; and yes, we used the activity book - she prefers a textbook). I'd prefer a Catholic text, but SOTW looks so easy to implement... lol... it's so tempting even though I know Autumn does better with textbooks. I would love VP's self paced, but the company is rather notoriously anti Catholic, from what I hear (nobody hit me over it - it's just what I've been told).

English/Grammar - (I would prefer this to be somewhat independent)

First Language Lessons 4 or Seton English 4. I'll be using WWE regardless - which is why I think FLL would be overkill for a child who hates to write and is more science oriented than literature/writing.

Religion -

Faith and Life 5, Credo: I Believe

or

Seton Religion 4

Which of the above programs have you tried? Which did you like and which did you not care for? Why?

History -

Seton 6th grade history (first half of world history), All Ye Lands (Catholic Textbook Project), or Story of The World 2 (I should mention that we read book 1 and really didn't care for it; and yes, we used the activity book - she prefers a textbook). I'd prefer a Catholic text, but SOTW looks so easy to implement... lol... it's so tempting even though I know Autumn does better with textbooks. I would love VP's self paced, but the company is rather notoriously anti Catholic, from what I hear (nobody hit me over it - it's just what I've been told).

Religion -

or

Seton Religion 4

Which of the above programs have you tried? Which did you like and which did you not care for? Why?

I have no opinion on the English/Grammar as I haven't used either of the options you listed.

We liked SOTW 2 (& 1 & 3) with the activity guide. But, I have more than one student, so we do projects together. I think it is more fun with multiple "students." I've heard good things from my RL friends about the Catholic TP, so if your daughter likes "textbooks," I'd go with All Ye Lands.

I personally used Credo: I Believe when I went through catechism classes and COULDN'T STAND IT. It was SO BORING. I didn't retain a thing. I just glazed right over. We are using Seton's Religion 4 this year. It isn't spectacular, but I prefer it to your other option in terms of topic coverage & not-as-boring. The pictures (art) are glorious in Seton's book. :)

If you didn't care for SOTW 1 I would pick something else. My first instinct would be to use All Ye Lands, but I obviously don't have any experience.

For religion, my kids use Faith and Life for religious education classes at church. We liked them, but never used them for school at home, just read some of the stories. Again, my kids are little, so I've only seen the first two books. We are having a good experience with other things at home. We love the New Saint Joseph First Communion Catechism and will be moving on to the next book in the series next year. We also make sure to include saint stories and Bible reading of some sort (for second grade it's A Life of Our Lord for Children).

Thanks ladies. I have heard that the second SOTW has a protestant bend? Regardless, I guess if we didn't care for the first, the second wouldn't be better. I was hoping someone would tell me that the second is written to an older student and holds their interest a bit more :)

All Ye Lands has beautiful pictures.

Faith and Life is dreadfully boring for us too; it just seems to be the gold standard for catechism. We are currently using St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism 2. I think the Faith and Life series is better geared to be used in a school setting. Autumn used it at her Catholic school and had a blast - because the teacher's manual has a ton of group activities would be my guess.

As far as grammar goes, if you are looking for something independent, I would not pick FLL. It doesn't take a lot of prep time or anything, but you do need to go over several things orally with the student.

We are using SOTW 2 now and haven't had any problems with it. We are Protestant though so maybe the slight anti-Catholic slant has gone under my radar. I kind of don't think it's deep enough for a logic stage kid. If you do decide to use it, I would pair it with something a bit more substantial.

History -

English/Grammar - (I would prefer this to be somewhat independent)

First Language Lessons 4 or Seton English 4. I'll be using WWE regardless - which is why I think FLL would be overkill for a child who hates to write and is more science oriented than literature/writing.

Religion -

or

Seton Religion 4

All Ye Lands has some easy, fun activities in the TM. It would be a good option for you, I think. I like it a lot better than SOTW. The Seton is kind of dry, but it is also a decent choice. I think you would like All Ye Lands better.

I don't think FLL is very independent. Seton English is not terribly independent either. I am using Easy Grammar with my 10 yo who is a lot like yours, and she is doing it independently. It is not my very favorite, but it is working, and it would complement WWE well.

You may like Seton Religion better. The main difference is the layout. The F&L is more geared for a weekly lesson. Seton is broken up into daily lessons. The content is very similar. The 5th grade F&L book is probably one of the best in the series, so if you don't like that one, you may not want to try the others.

I'm loving the looks of All Ye Lands. I'm just hoping it's not completely over her head. She needs to read it herself (visual learner; auditory processing problems). Everyone keeps telling me to start with From Sea to Shining Sea, but neither of us can stomach any more American history, frankly. All she's done (and this is her first full year at home) in brick and mortar thus far as been American history. We're over it at this point. I have, however, heard that All Ye Lands is pretty advanced.

All Ye Lands has some easy, fun activities in the TM. It would be a good option for you, I think. I like it a lot better than SOTW. The Seton is kind of dry, but it is also a decent choice. I think you would like All Ye Lands better.

I don't think FLL is very independent. Seton English is not terribly independent either. I am using Easy Grammar with my 10 yo who is a lot like yours, and she is doing it independently. It is not my very favorite, but it is working, and it would complement WWE well.

You may like Seton Religion better. The main difference is the layout. The F&L is more geared for a weekly lesson. Seton is broken up into daily lessons. The content is very similar. The 5th grade F&L book is probably one of the best in the series, so if you don't like that one, you may not want to try the others.

And for the record, there are some chapters in SOTW 2 & 3 that, as a Catholic, I chose to either supplement (showing "the other side" to SWB's "Good Queen Bess," for example), or choose a source for that subject that was a more neutral one (30 Years War, for example, sounded like a completely different war in the Catholic book than in SOTW, so Wikipedia's entry seemed a better choice).

I'm loving the looks of All Ye Lands. I'm just hoping it's not completely over her head. She needs to read it herself (visual learner; auditory processing problems). Everyone keeps telling me to start with From Sea to Shining Sea, but neither of us can stomach any more American history, frankly. All she's done (and this is her first full year at home) in brick and mortar thus far as been American history. We're over it at this point. I have, however, heard that All Ye Lands is pretty advanced.

FStSS is easier. I am debating using All Ye Lands with my 10 for next year. I love the series, but it may be beyond her for 6th grade.

If you want something that she can read herself and do independently, you may want to take a look at Our Old World Background by Lepanto Press. It is world history to the Exploration of the New World. OLVS uses it for 6th grade, and sells it and the answer key. The pros are that it is a lot cheaper than the CSTP series, the reading level is a little lower, and the print is larger. The cons are that it is an older series and is not updated and in color. But the color can be a distraction, and you don't necessarily need updated for older world history. The lower reading level and larger print have been key for my 10 yo to be able to use this series independently (we are using their 5th grade book now).

Another option would be the first book in the Land of Our Lady series that Kolbe uses. It is also world history, and it is written in a very child-friendly way. If you are still enrolled with Kolbe, I think they would send you the lesson plans for it.

Or you could look at Old World and America. But I personally like Our Old World Background or the Land of Our Lady book better. OWA is kind of choppy, and I think the reading level is more advanced. Sometimes going with a little lower reading level really helps comprehension and helps with a child being able to use something more independently. They are easier without being dumbed down. My DD is a lot better able to absorb the content in the OLVS books than she was with other things we have tried.

I do think you all would like All Ye Lands, but it would definitely be more teacher-intensive for you.

Edited by Asenik

Did she find the OLVS books interesting? Or did the age of it prevent her from engaging? I'll admit - the other thing that attracts me to All Ye Lands is that it is History, Culture, AND Geography. Three birds, one stone; we are lazy about history here :D

FStSS is easier. I am debating using All Ye Lands with my 10 for next year. I love the series, but it may be beyond her for 6th grade.

If you want something that she can read herself and do independently, you may want to take a look at Our Old World Background by Lepanto Press. It is world history to the Exploration of the New World. OLVS uses it for 6th grade, and sells it and the answer key. The pros are that it is a lot cheaper than the CSTP series, the reading level is a little lower, and the print is larger. The cons are that it is an older series and is not updated and in color. But the color can be a distraction, and you don't necessarily need updated for older world history. The lower reading level and larger print have been key for my 10 yo to be able to use this series independently (we are using their 5th grade book now).

Another option would be the first book in the Land of Our Lady series that Kolbe uses. It is also world history, and it is written in a very child-friendly way. If you are still enrolled with Kolbe, I think they would send you the lesson plans for it.

Or you could look at Old World and America. But I personally like Our Old World Background or the Land of Our Lady book better. OWA is kind of choppy, and I think the reading level is more advanced. Sometimes going with a little lower reading level really helps comprehension and helps with a child being able to use something more independently. They are easier without being dumbed down. My DD is a lot better able to absorb the content in the OLVS books than she was with other things we have tried.

I do think you all would like All Ye Lands, but it would definitely be more teacher-intensive for you.

Did she find the OLVS books interesting? Or did the age of it prevent her from engaging? I'll admit - the other thing that attracts me to All Ye Lands is that it is History, Culture, AND Geography. Three birds, one stone; we are lazy about history here :D

She doesn't love it. She doesn't love history period. But she is retaining and understanding it. I gave up on finding something engaging or complicated for this history-hating child. :tongue_smilie:

But she does like it better than what we tried before, so that is something. At this point, I just wanted to do something that she could retain content from and that she did not absolutely hate. And this gets the job done.

She tried the Seton American history and hated that. And it was in color and updated. And FStSS was really too much for her for this year, especially if we wanted independent work (her choice, not mine). So even though this series is older, it is very readable, she can do it independently, and she is retaining what she reads. We look elsewhere for engaging and fun. I do add in some pages here and there from the Usborne Last 500 years for some color, updating and world history, and we call it good now.

Edited by Asenik

Just hit me now. I think my husband will do it for you if I say one more time, "but I want her to love it!".

Like yours, Autumn simply dislikes history. I need to find a nice history program, at her level, and just do it. Nevermind developing a love for it. She loves science. Ellen McHenry rocks. That needs to be enough. Lol.

One thing - have you tried The History of Medicine? It's GREAT. History and science! Autumn actually enjoys it.

She doesn't love it. She doesn't love history period. But she is retaining and understanding it. I gave up on finding something engaging or complicated for this history-hating child. :tongue_smilie:

But she does like it better than what we tried before, so that is something. At this point, I just wanted to do something that she could retain content from and that she did not absolutely hate. And this gets the job done.

Just hit me now. I think my husband will do it for you if I say one more time, "but I want her to love it!".

Like yours, Autumn simply dislikes history. I need to find a nice history program, at her level, and just do it. Nevermind developing a love for it. She loves science. Ellen McHenry rocks. That needs to be enough. Lol.

One thing - have you tried The History of Medicine? It's GREAT. History and science! Autumn actually enjoys it.

:grouphug: You will find something you and she can live with. Maybe not this year ... :tongue_smilie: But you will find it!

I will have to look at The History of Medicine. And maybe Ellen McHenry!

You know, sometimes loving it is asking too much for a given child, at least for every subject. I think we all WANT that, but sometimes there is the ideal and then there is reality. Just because we homeschool does not mean it will all be dreamy and change how my middle child feels about actually doing school. So I finally decided to work on the skills, work on adding in some things that I know she will like, and make the rest doable.

Edited by Asenik

I guess I want her to look back at this time and say "I hated it, but now I love it, because...", well - yeah. Lol. Asking too much. She isn't a literature or history kind of gal.

We're doing Ellen McHenry's Elements now. I can't express my love for her balance. Just the right mix of EASY experiments and activities, and reading from the book. The book is littered with humor and uses examples a child can really understand. She does a wonderful job of introducing advanced concepts in an easy to understand way. Even though Autumn isn't far into the book, I've read it through. Lol!

:grouphug: You will find something you and she can live with. Maybe not this year ... :tongue_smilie: But you will find it!

I will have to look at The History of Medicine. And maybe Ellen McHenry!

You know, sometimes loving it is asking too much for a given child, at least for every subject. I think we all WANT that, but sometimes there is the ideal and then there is reality. Just because we homeschool does not mean it will all be dreamy and change how my middle child feels about actually doing school. So I finally decided to work on the skills, work on adding in some things that I know she will like, and make the rest doable.