Menu

WWS with a HighSchooler?

Is anyone using WWS with their hser? If you are how are you using it? Are you using it as written or are you adding to it and what grade are you using it?

Right now I am using it with my 7th and 10 graders. We use WWS as written, and then she does additional writing for Literature and History. I wanted to make sure that dd had the foundational skills that WWS teacher, but obviously didn't have a chance to incorporate it more into our curriculum.

I am considering using it for my 9th grader. He is currently doing Oak Meadow Grade 9 English but using Easy Grammar for grammar component. Not much writing instruction in OM. We also have IEW history based writing for Amer. History, but since he is now doing World History it doesn't seem like the best fit. Also, the IEW seems aimed at younger ages, which I didn't realize. He is really taxed right now with is current work load, so I have been holding off on adding more. Sure would like to see him spending more time on writing though.

• 2 weeks later...

We are also doing World History, and IEW just wasn't a fit with dd for many reasons.

WWS is getting her to write more, and I am using TOG to incorporate History assignments into her writing, but I don't think I am incorporating the WWS skills with her history assignments very well. Right now I am just trying to work on getting her into the habit of writing and improving her structure and paying more attention to her style.

I am looking into using some of the resources that SWB mentions in her High School Writing lecture. I am also thinking about jumping into Lost Tools of Writing, but am not sure how that will fit into what we are doing. I think I am afraid that what I am doing right now is not enough, and we need a clearer direction. I really don't want to spend my Christmas break working on this, but I feel like time is short and we have a lot of work to do in the writing department. As I am teaching my younger children, I can now see what skills I let slip, and what I should have pushed my older children to do.

As SWB comes out with more upper level resources, there is more clarity for how to flesh out WTM. Thanks Susan!

I don't know why you deleted it.

Sorry. :) After I posted my reply, I re-read your original post and it seemed like you were looking for specific information about HOW people were using it with their highschoolers, which my post didn't really address.

I will re-type what I wrote since you found it helpful (and maybe others may not be aware of this).

SWB stated that students who complete the entire WWSkill series will be fully prepared to begin college level writing. The series that will follow it (WWStyle???) will actually begin working on college level essays, which many students are ready for in high school, especially those who have completed lower levels of her program.

All students who are ready to begin writing essays -- whether they are in 4th grade or 10th grade -- should begin with Writing With Skill 1, as that is where the foundational work is done.

Since the whole WWS set is not available yet? You might use it, then something like the 2 sets from Analytical Grammar. I think that is what I am going to do with middle dd. I already used the AG sets with eldest. She also did a couple of years of IEW in middle school. I don't think it would hurt for her to use WWS and hone (edited because my phone thought I meant home) some of those basic skills.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Others have posted about WWS, but I wanted to add a bit about Lost Tools of Writing. If you decide to work with WWS but have additional time in your schedule, LToW is excellent. Since novels (your choice) are usually the source material for LToW I, the work can be counted as a literature credit.

Since LToW is not scripted like WWS, you will need to read through at least the first few lessons and have an understanding of the curriculum to use it. Circe Institute, the publisher of LToW, has a yahoo forum where teachers who are familar with the curriculum answer questions. There are also dvds that demonstrate how to teach the material. In addition, Circe offers free monthly online seminars on different aspects of the curriculum. Andrew Kern, the author and a gifted educator, hosted a seminar last Friday morning on the Five Topics of Invention. The next seminar on exordium; i.e. introductions, is scheduled for January.

P.S. Btw, if you use LToW, your younger children can sit in on the lessons. They don't have to write a thing, but they will still learn ways to think about complex issues.

Edited by 1Togo

Yes, you can use your TOG books for LToW assignments. So, if you decided to use WWS and LToW, WWS would be the English composition credit, and the LToW work would be the literature credit. The first part of LToW I; i.e. the first six lessons, teaches a complete persuasive essay, and your student would use six books to work through those lessons. Each lesson takes three weeks. I don't use WWS, but I have looked at the sample. Using both WWS and LToW would not be too much for a high school student.

Edited by 1Togo