Menu

iPad + Notability is rejuvenating my homeschool

sorry, I know this is an older thread, but thought you all would know.

I downloaded Notability, and got a Math Mammoth file imported in. DS was using his finger to write in the answers, but his writing is really big. Is getting a stylus the only work-around to that, or ???

I thought to have him just type in his answers where possible, but when we tried to use the text typer it would only place the cursor at the top left corner of the document. I tested in a blank doc, and it would let me put it at other positions in the doc, but still only at the let corner. In MM I could only type in the tope left corner. :(

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Is there a way to allow him to type his answers in the appropriate place on the page?

TIA!

This is not an answer to your specific question but are you using the zoom box for writing. After you select the pencil icon at the top there is an icon at the bottom right of the screen which looks like a magnifying glass on top of a pencil. That brings up a zoom box on the bottom of the screen to write in which is much larger. There is a selection box which you can resize and move around the page. My daughter writes pretty big numbers when on the ipad and it works.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not an answer to your specific question but are you using the zoom box for writing. After you select the pencil icon at the top there is an icon at the bottom right of the screen which looks like a magnifying glass on top of a pencil. That brings up a zoom box on the bottom of the screen to write in which is much larger. There is a selection box which you can resize and move around the page. My daughter writes pretty big numbers when on the ipad and it works.

Thanks! This will work! I also reduced the pen thickness! Yay!

This is so cool!

We've been doing MM the last few days on the ipad with notability. I love how much paper this is going to save! Some pages we are still going to print. We did a page where she had to circle groups of ten that was pretty hard on the ipad with the limited zoom features. Using the pinch zoom helps some and we have also used the zoom rectangle for some writing. You can also make the lines thinner, change color, or turn to highlighter by holding down the pencil icon for a second. MM sometimes has you color in boxes over certain numbers and we used the hightlighter with different colors for that part of the worksheet.

This is also going to be great for some the scholastic workbooks I've bought during their $1 sales. We have word searches, dot-to-dot, and then some actual school things that could all be done in notability.

I haven't gotten the pinch zoom to work, but I have an old iPad, so maybe it doesn't work on there. I keep hinting to dh that we need another, but he says if we'd paid for this one [it was a free gift at a conference he went to] we'd never have let the boys play with it. :/

But there are many instances where they BOTH want to play on it, and I'd rather them play on that than watch tv.

I DID set up my OLD iPhone for my elder DS to access some of his games. But it's old, and I replaced it for a reason: It runs really slowly with all the new apps. And he is easily frustrated.

I'm having some trouble with importing .pdfs into Notability. Everything works pretty smoothly up until I try and open the .pdf. I've synced my computer with Dropbox and I've also gotten the .pdf to appear in Notability's library, but when I open it, the note is completely blank. I've waited to see if it just needs to load up, but nothing still happens. Is there a way to fix this?