Menu

What printer to buy?

BlueSkiesAbove

I realized yesterday that I am going to need a new printer to start this homeschooling endeavor. I am using quite a bit of downloadable curriculum and resources (startwrite, expedition earth, some ebooks) and my old one is 8 years old and sucks ink. My husband is going to add one to my Christmas list.

However, money is super tight. I need to keep it under $100. Any ideas of where to start looking? I cannot afford a ton of ink everymonth. Maybe an ink budget of $35 a month. Thanks in Advance.

Brother 2270 DW laser. Use it on toner save mode. I got 1000 pages out of the starter cartridge that is supposed to do 700 pages. The 2600 page replacement cartridges are $44 on Amazon (Brother brand).

It does automatic duplex and wireless.

ETA: You can usually find it on sale for around $80, either advertised as such or using a $25 off $75 coupon at Staples when they have it "on sale" for $100 or so.

Edited by boscopup

If you don't mind just black ink: Brother laser printer. I have (HL-2270dw)

If you need color too: a Kodak printer.

I have both.

I mostly use the laser printer, but when I need color or to photocopy, I use the kodak.

The laser printer does automatic duplexing and I would not do without it, now that I have it! :D You want AUTOMATIC duplexing!

My kodak will do automatic too, but the second side is smaller :glare:. So, I much prefer the Brother for that.

The Kodak ink has a little higher turnover rate for ink cartridges, but the cost of the replacement ink still makes it worth it (from my calculations.) I have had both for 2 yrs, and they are both great.

I would go with a Canon laser printer. This one is only $139.

I had a Brother, but when the drum needed to be replaced (which they all eventually need to be replaced, like toner does), it would've been $80 for the drum alone + the toner cost.

Canon has a single cartridge system, which means that you never have to replace a drum. I buy generic toner refills on Amazon for my Canon, and they're down to about $10 a piece, and I get at least 2000 pages per cartridge. A quick search shows that the generic toners for the printer above are about $20 a piece.

I think the subtext here is do NOT get an inkjet, get a laser printer. I love my Brother -- my second and my first laster 10 years and was still fine, but it was cheaper to get a new (and wireless) printer than a new drum. :(

I almost wish mine would die so I could justify getting a new duplexing one. The Brother HL2270DW would be my choice. I've seen it on sale down to $70 at newegg.com. Right now Bestbuy has it for $90:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Brother+-+Network-Ready+Wireless+Black-and-White+Laser+Printer/1148536.p?id=1218225366203&skuId=1148536&cmp=RMX&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=1148536

Costco and Frys has it for $99. It pays to check weekly for a good deal. There are tricks to getting the most form your toner cartridge (which comes good for 1,000 pages) so Google that. When you need new toner, Amazon has good refurb deals for under $20 (for toners that last 2,000 or more pages).

I also have a color laser, which I got for $225 several years ago. They are nice for color stuff, but I use my monochrome 99% of the time. :) There are 4 toner cartridges in the color laser, so pricier to keep in ink. ;)

Brother 2270 DW laser. Use it on toner save mode. I got 1000 pages out of the starter cartridge that is supposed to do 700 pages. The 2600 page replacement cartridges are $44 on Amazon (Brother brand).

It does automatic duplex and wireless.

ETA: You can usually find it on sale for around $80, either advertised as such or using a $25 off $75 coupon at Staples when they have it "on sale" for $100 or so.

:iagree:

I have this one as well, I love it.