Menu

Hake grammar users...

How do you like it? I really like the looks of the samples and I'm considering trying it next year instead of Rod and Staff. Any major likes or dislikes with it? Do you think it's suitable on grade level for an average child, or one that hasn't had a lot of grammar? I'm considering the 5th and 7th grade levels. My kids who will be doing this have not retained a lot of their grammar, so I'm looking for something that anyone could pick up and use. And I also love simple things;).

Thanks all.

Alison

Also love it for our 5th grader. I started it with him last year in 4th and it wasn't too difficult then - we just didn't finish it. We don't do the writing either since we started IEW. We will use CC for writing after IEW SWI-A. The repetition/spiral approach of Hake is working well for us. We use Phonetic Zoo for spelling to round things out.

We love it too. :) My dd is actually enjoying her grammar this year. We're also doing the writing portion, and she likes that too. I'll be supplementing that with some Writing Strands, because I think some more creative assignments will be fun.

I think it's definitely suitable for kids who haven't had a lot of formal grammar. It begins with the basics and works from there.

Redleaf,

WWE and WWS are the writing programs written by Susan Wise Bauer (SWB). Writing With Excellence is for the lower grammar level, while Writing With Skill is the next in the series, designed for Logic stage writing instruction. Here is a link to learn more.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Silliness...

I'm currently using Rod and Staff 3rd grade with my 10 year old. My son isn't really using a program, well, not like that. We've been using Winston off and on this year, plus a basic course on time4writing which has a lot of grammar, and he started Latin. His retention isn't that good. Last year we did some of Rod and Staff 4 with him.

I think sometimes I just like to switch things up from boredom. I do like Rod and Staff, better than anything else except maybe Winston. I like simple things. I really like the looks of Hakes vocabulary sections. I would also love my oldest to be a bit more independent...but that probably won't happen:glare: for awhile longer.

Alison