Menu

Learning to sew

Make simple things. Get fabric and just stitch like crazy....make potholders. Play with it. Make friends with it. Snarl the thread, then figure out how to unsnarl and rethread. Oil it. Play with the attachments.

You'll get so you don't mind threading it up for even minor repairs. So many repairs really need to be done on the machine.

I made a bundle, during college, constructing smocked and French Handsewn children's garments, that crafty ladies would stitch, but not know how to construct. Even somewhat skilled seamstresses would balk at putting together something, after they'd invested so many hours in handwork.

Good luck!

Youtube videos! That's how I taught myself at 23 when I was first a SAHM. I really wanted to sew ODS cute cloth diapers and so I asked DH to get me a sewing machine for my b-day and after one bad night of fighting with my machine's tension for 3 hours I have been sewing ever since :) Just start with something simple and forgiving. A fleece quilted blanket for one of the kids beds, fleece is super forgiving. Or a pillowcase, curtains, etc. Pillowcases are fun starter projects because they can be as plain or embellished as you want. My ODS has a toddler pillow that's a little extra embellished because I messed up and measured wrong so I had to add this extra layer of scrap fabric, lol!

Maybe do it with your DD, I bet she'd think it's fun. My ODS likes to sit on my lap and hold the fabric or press the backstitch button for me :)

No advice, but I completely understand. I've figured out that my irrational fear of my own sewing machine is tied to threading it, not actually sewing with it. One day, I will sit and practice setting it up until I can do it blindfolded.

However, that day is not today. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, oh, oh.....my new favorite site: Instructables! Looks like lots of sewing entries.

My husband just rejuvenated some old NiCad batteries, using info off Instructables....pretty amazing....they were Versapak batteries that would have cost a bunch to replace, and make a really cool little vacuum run.