Menu

Celebrating Success NaNoWriMo and so much more!

Mom22ns

My kids just met their NaNoWriMo goals!

I thought along with celebrating NaNo success, I would share a few more.

Ds was diagnosed ASD when he was three. He had regressed from speaking in short sentences at 18 mos to labeling one word nouns only, horrible tantrums had begun and he had gone from being my cuddly loving child to being totally withdrawn into his own world. I felt like I had lost my child.

Ds was hyperlexic. He was reading by two and was a high functioning guy, but was so behind in so many areas. I can remember having to help him dress for school when he was in Kindergarten, although his little sister had been picking out her own clothes and dressing herself for a long time.

My advice is slow and steady, keep your eyes on your child, no one else's. Ds learned to dress himself as long as I had his clothes put away right side out hanging the right way, then he learned to put them away(so, so late) and could still get them on (as long as I turned them right side out), now, he can do the laundry, hang his clothes and dress himself.

Communication was the same story. He learned to talk again, gradually. First he could make statements, then answer simple questions. It took years for him to be able to answer "why". He reads, writes and does all other school work at or above grade level now.

This month he wrote a 25,000 word novel. The child who is dysgraphic and couldn't put his thoughts into words to save his life. He has come so far. I am so proud of him.

I just want all of you who are beginning this journey to know how absolutely wonderfully it can turn out.

Misty, I wondered if your dd NaNo'd this year. Tell her congrats from hyperlexic world :)

She wouldn't miss it! And she just corrected me.. It was 30,000 words she did.. Not 35.. :tongue_smilie: Now if I can just get her to let me read it!! :D Last time I read one of her books, I overdid it with the highlighter (she asked me to edit!!).. Not sure if she'll let me touch this one.. :D