Menu

I'm trying to decide between FIAR and HOD

bethanyjoy

I'm using FIAR this year for my daughter's Kindergarten year. I also have a 3-year-old. I'm trying to decide if we will continue using FIAR or switch to HOD for first grade. Have any of you used both programs before? If so, what would you do???? I like aspects of each, but it seems like doing them both would be too much. I want first grade to be fun and laid back like this year is, but sometimes I wonder if we are doing enough. We are also using McRuffy's Phonics and Math programs and will continue to use those (unless we switch to All About Reading...I'm not sure about that one yet, either!!!).

I would love to hear all opinions about FIAR and HOD! I've searched previous posts about these two programs, but I haven't found anything that really discussed choosing between the two!

Thanks,

Bethany

I couldn't decide so I am using HOD and FIAR for first & third grade. I follow HOD exactly as the guide is written and then we do FIAR in the afternoons after nap time. We do almost all of FIAR orally and then I throw in an activity and associated video (mostly on youtube) on Fridays.

The kids loved both as well and we just couldn't decide. Both programs are amazing.

• 2 months later...

I have used BFIAR, FIAR, Little Hands to Heaven, and Little Hearts for His Glory now. I like FIAR, but I LOVE Heart of Dakota. I love how little planning there is involved, how it is all laid out for me, how I don't have to pick and choose which activities I want to do. The Author does a great job of mixing hands on with seat work. It is perfect for my little guy.

Good luck choosing! I say try them all, lol. Weve also tried MFW and Sonlight as well but HOD is a great fit for us.

I've used both. I used FIAR with my older two, but it got to be too much planning for me when I had my fourth child. There are many moms that manage it, but apparently I'm not one of them. :lol: We switched to HOD and I absolutely love having it planned out. I still pull out an occasionally FIAR book for my 5yo, but HOD is working very well. We used Beyond last year, and this year I'm using Bigger with the 7 and 9yos and LHTH with the 5yo.

Both are great programs, but HOD is a better fit for my family. If you love planning and independence, FIAR would be a better fit. I just want it all planned so I can spend time teaching and HOD does that for me.