Menu

Scheduling stories by O. Henry

What would you have an 8th grader read by O. Henry? I have 2 books. 1 I checked out from the library Gift of the Magi and Other Stories and Collected stories of O. Heny-- unabridged. The first book has just 255 pages but the 2nd book has 972 pages. Should I just have her read the first one cover to cover? Or selected stories from the 2nd unabridged book? What would you do in 8th grade? If it matters she is a strong avid reader but looked at me like :blink: when I pulled out a book with nearly 1,000 pages ;)

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04
changed title

I would just select a few. The Gift of the Magi, of course. The Ransom of Red Chief is an absolute must! The Last Leaf is another classic.

If you want a couple more, perhaps Witches' Loaves and maybe The Cop and the Anthem.

That's plenty to be representative of O. Henry. No real need to assign more than that -- although I think O Henry is entertaining enough that many kids would choose to read a few more stories on their own.

I would just select a few. The Gift of the Magi, of course. The Ransom of Red Chief is an absolute must! The Last Leaf is another classic.

If you want a couple more, perhaps Witches' Loaves and maybe The Cop and the Anthem.

That's plenty to be representative of O. Henry. No real need to assign more than that -- although I think O Henry is entertaining enough that many kids would choose to read a few more stories on their own.

:iagree: After you read, you should watch the movie The Ransom of Red Chief. Netflix has it on streaming right now.

Thanks for the ideas! My sixth-grader is doing Modern lit right now, so I've been pre-reading to see what will be appropriate for him. I love the Gift of the Magi but wasn't sure where to go from there. I've found some that are interesting, such as A Cosmipolite in a Cafe. I thought that would be a good one to compare with the The Man Without a Country. I'll look for the stories suggested here, too.