Menu

Which costs more? Scan/print or buy new workbooks for each DC?

I would love to hear the answer to this. I am sure there are a number of factors, such as what type of printer you use, cost of it's ink, number of pages copied. I was a silly person with one of my DD's workbooks, I copied every lesson in it, and it wasn't until she was nearly done with it did I think that she could have been doing the reading part from the book (it was a reading comp. workbook) and I should have just copied the activities. All of her workbooks that are under $10 she is writing in at the moment. She also does her math into the workbooks because I want a confined record of her doing it.

If it's a workbook they do stuff in daily, I just buy another one. If it's worksheets or something they do as needed, then I copy it.

I think dling books from Currclick or somewhere then printing out 50 pages would end up costing more overall.

After 6 years of homeschooling, I finally bought a laser copier--yay me! :D I no longer have that "dang-I wonder what this is costing" feeling every time I print something. I think it works out to about 2 cents a copy, which is pretty cheap (50 copies for a dollar!). So now I print like a crazy woman--free ebook? I'll take it! Teacher's Tool Box? Sign me up! Definitely a printer dork...:w00t::blink:

What is the age spread of the children involved? Have you considered that a younger child might need a different curriculum altogether?

Since I buy mostly non-consumable products, the very few I do buy- I've decided to just use the workbook pages instead of copying them, there are plenty of e-books I'd rather print out than having to replace the toner and drum sooner b/c I was trying to save $20 later down the road.

Of course, I just made this decision as I was reading the other threads, so there you go. :D

I mostly use workbooks like text books, and get the kids to write their answers into an exercise book. some subjects like spelling, I photocopy. I am not doing this so I can resell the books, just to make it a little cheaper for me. I don't feel guilty about breaking copyright laws, As it is for my family's personal use.

I think there is another factor that needs to be added to the equation.

Time.

It was frequently "cheaper" for me to copy, but the time spent doing so. . . would add up to hours! (This would not apply to ebooks or "direct printing".)

Actually, for some of my younger kids work, I plan to use page protectors. One child will do the workpage on the protector in dry-erase. The other will do the work page "for real". Then they will switch. (I don't need to keep all their papers, and this will work really well for their math.)

What is the age spread of the children involved? Have you considered that a younger child might need a different curriculum altogether?

Since I buy mostly non-consumable products, the very few I do buy- I've decided to just use the workbook pages instead of copying them, there are plenty of e-books I'd rather print out than having to replace the toner and drum sooner b/c I was trying to save $20 later down the road.

Of course, I just made this decision as I was reading the other threads, so there you go. :D

They are almost 5 and almost 4, and then the 3rd one is 14 months. I thought about them possibly needing different materials, but didn't want to use all my materials and turn around and need them in a year if it's less expensive to copy them. I'm just cheap...lol (really, I'm thinking of what other fun things I can buy if I don't have to re-buy workbooks).

Time.

It was frequently "cheaper" for me to copy, but the time spent doing so. . . would add up to hours! (This would not apply to ebooks or "direct printing".)

Actually, for some of my younger kids work, I plan to use page protectors. One child will do the workpage on the protector in dry-erase. The other will do the work page "for real". Then they will switch. (I don't need to keep all their papers, and this will work really well for their math.)

I agree it takes a lot of time (that I don't have) to do this. As far as the sheet protector thing, I've thought about it, but what do you do to keep pages they've done? Scan, take a picture of it, or just erase it and don't bother. I like to have a record of things.

I agree it takes a lot of time (that I don't have) to do this. As far as the sheet protector thing, I've thought about it, but what do you do to keep pages they've done? Scan, take a picture of it, or just erase it and don't bother. I like to have a record of things.

They will be doing every other page like this; which I figure is plenty of "records". (So, we will simply erase and move on.) And truth be told, workbooks, as a rule in this house, get chucked at the end of the year (after review). (Military = concerns about weight and storage.)

I keep all our yearly schedules, so I know exactly what each kid covered each year. (That's ~ 40 pages.) I take alot of pics of non-workbook items (art, science) and place them in their yearbook along with writings, and other samples of their work (sentimental value / or show of "progression"). As they got older, I've kept all tests / writing assignments. . .Although, I'm about to go through a purge, and will likely chuck most tests (as I have record sheets).

Your children are quite young yet. . .paperwork truly adds up rather quickly.

However, the only reason the page protector thing will work for me this time is because my two youngest are on a similar level. I don't know how long this will last, but right now it will work fine.

Time.

I agree! We have a laser copier, so our copies are pretty cheap to make. I don't have a hard and fast rule, but I consider the amount of pages to be copied, and the cost per page to buy new. Factoring time into the equation, if the cost to buy new is between 5-10 cents a page, I'll typically buy duplicate. Anything significantly over 10 cents a page, I tend to copy.