Menu

SOTW 3, Ch 13 - Dumas, abridged or unabridged?

charlestonmom03

Any advice on whether to give my soon-to-be 9 year old abridged or unabridged versions of the "The Three Musketeers" and "The Man in the Iron Mask"? He is a great reader and LOVES to read. For Christmas he has asked me to give him a good book that is at least as long and as good as "The Lord of the Rings". He read that in less than a week, and seemed to get a lot out of it based on our conversations with him after he finished.

I tend to hate abridged books, but I personally have not read Dumas and am not sure how readable the translations would be for a child, even one who is a strong reader.

Any thoughts?

Well I'll give you a little bump here. My dd, also a LoTR lover, suggests skipping 3 Musketeers, which she didn't like. She said if you get all the sequels in the Guardians of Ga'hoole series, he might enjoy it. (They're thin reads, but there are 13+ in the series to keep him busy a while.) Also, has he read Narnia, the Hobbit, and the rest of the LoTR books?

There's lots more fantasy out there. With this bump, someone else can chime in. :)

My husband could barely get through one of Dumas' books (unabridged).

Has he read Eragon? It isn't as good as LoTR by a long shot, but we've enjoyed reading & talking about the first three in the series. (Only I have finished the fourth so far. :sneaky2:

I tend to hate abridged books, but I personally have not read Dumas and am not sure how readable the translations would be for a child, even one who is a strong reader.

Any thoughts?

I recently read aloud the Pevear translation of The Three Musketeers (unabridged) with DD the Elder and we both loved it, though some might object to the sexual innuendo. She is a strong reader, and would have had no trouble with the text on her own.

As far as "big" books, Walter Moers' The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear and Rumo might to do the trick, though they aren't similar to LOTR.