Menu

SOTW Tests

hobbystamper

No, you don't NEED them. Especially with the young ones you have; they really are best for 4th grade-ish and up. SWB even says so. :)

Stick with narration. Adding in writing and/or drawing to an oral narration is great. And don't worry too much about retention. Exposure to all these great people and places is the thing for the little guys; remembering will come later.

I have the tests in PDF format, but I don't print them out. We use them as we're wrapping up a chapter, and we do them orally. We also do narration. I don't think the tests are essential, but they're quick and easy.

My daughter is a young 3rd grader, and she's never had any trouble with the tests. I think she'd have done fine with them even in 1st grade.

I use them with my 3rd and 4th graders. I even grade them. But, I don't use them as tests, per se. I use them more as graded worksheets. I let my kids look the answers up in the book and everything. I think they're too hard for the kids to do as tests but doing them (and looking up the answers if they can't remember) does help the information to stick.

I use them with my 3rd and 4th graders. I even grade them. But, I don't use them as tests, per se. I use them more as graded worksheets. I let my kids look the answers up in the book and everything. I think they're too hard for the kids to do as tests but doing them (and looking up the answers if they can't remember) does help the information to stick.

:iagree: This is how I use them as well.

I switched to the tests because

1.) DS already does a lot of narration but

2.) he needed to work on his penmanship!

3.) DS likes workbooks. :tongue_smilie:

4.) DS also likes to keep his completed books and read back through them.

The test books have been perfect for him. I wouldn't recommend it for every child, though.

We primarily listen to SOTW on audio in the car. I use the tests during our read aloud/breakfast basket time to check retention and to provide a wrap for any activities from the AG we are doing.

We do the test orally, and my kids treat it like a trivia contest.

:iagree: I'm glad to see that others think they are too hard. Sometimes even I will say, "Was that even in the chapter?" but sure enough it was in one line.. and not gone over in the discussion/narration in the AG.. Like my second grader was going to remember that!

I'd say if you do the discussion ?? in the AG and the narration that's enough. Otherwise, I agree that open book is the way to go.

:iagree: I'm glad to see that others think they are too hard. Sometimes even I will say, "Was that even in the chapter?" but sure enough it was in one line.. and not gone over in the discussion/narration in the AG.. Like my second grader was going to remember that!

I'd say if you do the discussion ?? in the AG and the narration that's enough. Otherwise, I agree that open book is the way to go.

I have been known to "help" a bit, too. If they have particular trouble finding something, I'll find the paragraph with the info and say "start reading here."

My girls take the test for every chapter. I even grade them and the average goes on their report card. :001_smile: They started SOTW when they were in first grade, so for the fill in the blanks I would write the words (in random order, of course) on the white board. They also have notes they read for every chapter. They review the notes before they begin their history lesson for the day. And yes, we do history daily. It took me a long time to find a schedule for SOTW that works for us. I love SOTW; I have learned so much I never knew. I always wondered where Mesopotamia was. lol

Marsha