Menu

Please help me fix my Netflix. :(

We started getting netflix almost a month ago, and I have never once gotten it to work right. Every time I try to use it on my laptop, it will stream for about thirty seconds, and then it gets extremely choppy, showing single frames instead of a video. Completely unwatchable, obviously.

I've tried everything I can think of, but nothing has helped. I've tried different browsers, updated Silverlight... I have no idea what to do next. This happens on every single video they have. At my mom's house, though, I can use my account on their wifi tv with no problems.

Help, please!!! Thanks!

ETA: Just want to add that it's not an internet speed problem. We have 12 meg internet, which is definitely more than adequate.

Have you called their customer service? The few times we have had a problem, they were very helpful. Could it be your laptop? Can you stream other things without problems?

I haven't called yet- based on my experience calling every other company I've ever had problems with, I expect a forty-five minute wait and then a person who barely speaks English. I was hoping the hive had the answer so I don't have to endure customer service. :tongue_smilie:

And yup, every single other video website in the known universe works perfectly for me.

BTW, I don't use Silverlight to stream Netflix, I just open it in the browser. Have you tried that?

That's what I've been doing. It was my understanding from what I've read that Netflix has to use Silverlight to stream video- it works through the browser. Or something. Erm. I think.

They have absolutely wonderful customer service folks. Really nice.

I called quite upset that I could not get on, one night. I tried everything. I called the two college kids to see if they were on, and only one was. So, I'm bumfuzzled, till he asks me about the person watching SpongeBob on a Wii. Man. Kid still up, upstairs, I had no idea....never occured to me. He just chuckled, no big deal.

Silverlight is a browser plug-in, like a media "player", I believe.

No great tips, but tonight may not be the best time to try to fix it—our Netflix connection has been flaky for the past hour or so and has not gotten resolved yet. Not sure if it's a system wide thing or what.

Erica in OR

Lol, just my luck. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, wait... I think I might have finally got it. I found a website that told me to pull up the hidden diagnostic menu and change the bitrate to 500. Seems to be working so far- cross your fingers for me that it sticks.

If anyone else is having problems, you pull up the menu by holding shift-alt while left-clicking the video.

I'll come back and let you all know if that fixed it for good or not.

Thanks for the help, everyone!