Menu

"Midnight Thursday" in black friday ads is driving me nuts!!!

I usually just lurk and read posts, but had to share my frustrations somewhere (because my husband is tired of me yelling at the tv!) Has anyone noticed that several black friday ads keep saying that they are opening at midnight on Thursday? That would be in several hours. How can these ad agencies make tens of thousands of dollars and not know that when midnight hits, it becomes the next day. The kohls ad is the worst, it's in huge writing all over the tv ads and they are runnimg nonstop.

Thanks for letting me vent, I will now go back to lurking ;)

:iagree: with Hannah C. "Midnight Thursday" is at 12:00 on Thanksgiving night. I remember researching this once because I had to bill clients for overnight snow removal.

Besides, there are other things to yell at the TV about; say, that National Debt. :001_smile:

:iagree: with Hannah C. "Midnight Thursday" is at 12:00 on Thanksgiving night. I remember researching this once because I had to bill clients for overnight snow removal.

Besides, there are other things to yell at the TV about; say, that National Debt. :001_smile:

Or just that the stores are making their employees come in to open at midnight, as if 4:00 am wasn't obscene enough.

Or morons on game shows. (or am I the only one not allowed to watch those?)

I believe OP is correct. Midnight marks the new day, not 12:01. It becomes AM at 12:00 - not 12:01.

In standard practice, though, saying "12:00am Friday" causes widespread confusion, so the correct phrasing is "Midnight Thursday". Another accepted phrasing is to go one minute back or forward, so it is completely clear what is meant, ie., "11:59pm Thursday" or "12:01 am Friday."

Here's from an on-line style manual:

midnight, noon Don't capitalize, and do not put a redundant 12 in front of either word. Use midnight and noon instead of misleading, confusing and inaccurate 12 a.m. and 12 p.m. Although equipment like clock radios may need to be programmed using 12 a.m. for midnight and 12 p.m. for noon, readers likely won't know the difference between 12 a.m. and 12 p.m. in other uses.

Also, midnight is part of the day that is ending, not the one that is beginning. A 24-hour day begins immediately after midnight and runs until midnight. When writing about the beginning and end of a day, say it runs from midnight Thursday to Friday at midnight or from midnight Jan. 28 to Jan. 29 at midnight. An alternative is to write that an event begins after midnight, Jan. 28, and that something is due or ends by midnight, Jan. 29, or before midnight, Jan. 29.

:001_smile: