Menu

dogs: wheaten terrier or bichon frise?

I know there's significant size difference, there. :lol: Looking for a dog to soak up lots of love and attention, we have a med sized fenced yard but dog would live indoors 100%. Would like a dog we could take with us on road trips.

Our youngest is 3yo, and would want a pup (but not necessarily a little puppy), so probably be smarter to wait 6-12mo.

Thoughts? Experiences? What about adding a dog to the family? I grew up with dogs, but dh did not (actually, I'm shocked he suggested it).

TIA!

I wouldn't get a small dog with a child around. I've only met one Wheaten, but liked it's personality much more than the freakin little Bichon I met ;( I like a dog big enough that if the child falls on it... it won't die or bite (hopefully) :)

The Wheaten was big enough to be safe and yet small enough to pop in the car. Especially with the narrower crates you can get for the car. We travel with out almost 70lb dog and smaller would be easier :)

Either way... you need to have an Alpha around.... :)

We have a Bichon poodle mix (we think - not 100% sure since he was a rescue). He is *very* tolerant with the kids. He loves people and attention. Grooming isn't too bad - we got a clipper so we can trim him as needed. Though we don't really expect to keep him looking perfectly groomed.

There are a few things about him that are challenging, but I don't know if that is from his Bichon-ness or his poodle-ness or his past history. He gets startled easily. He gets easily over-excited. He needed a lot more help getting solidly potty-trained (he is completely fine now, but it took longer than with our other dog that we got at the same time).

I'm really glad we chose him as I feel completely safe with him and the kids. My kids were 4 and 6 when we got him.

Best of luck on your choice!