Menu

need chapter book suggestions

momtolgd

I need some suggestions of chapter books that go along with Early American History. My dd9 particularly enjoys reading books about the Revolutionary War time period, but we can extend beyond that. We are doing Sonlight core 3 right now, so we already have those books. I am looking for extra chapter books for her.

She has read many Magic Treehouse books, and loved them...but her reading level has moved past where they are. She has read the first Harry Potter book and found it ok but a little too difficult. So her reading level is somewhere between the two.

I would love to get her a few books for Christmas but need suggestions! Thanks.

The American Girl books and the Dear America books are both a bit past Magic Treehouse level but not quite up to Harry Potter level.

Also, Ben and Me by Robert Lawson would be perfect, we just finished it, though we read it aloud.

There are others for American history in that range... The Courage of Sarah Noble comes to mind... and of course she could probably read the Little House Books or the Sarah Plain and Tall books, though that's not really "early" American history. Maybe The Witch of Blackbird Pond?

Any of the Jean Fritz books, Pink and Say (not a chapter book but still a gorgeous Civil War story---at that reading level), Night Journey or The Fighting Ground by Avi, The Sign of the Beaver, maybe some early American poetry collections? Longfellow? The Little House books, Caddie Woodlawn, Lincoln:A Photobiography is nice.

If your kiddo likes Mary Pope Osborne, you could try her George Washington: Leader of a New Nation