Menu

What's the point to years and years of formal English Grammar?

The reason I plan on teaching my kids grammar so well early on that they know it like the back of their hands is because I want them to not even have to think about it. I had very little grammar instruction. I'm as articulate and correct in language as I am because of my parents and the fact that they mostly speak correctly. But I have never felt comfortable writing. It is my hope and belief that if I teach grammar early, young, and consistently, that they will be able to know and understand it so well as to apply it effortlessly. I believe that there is a richness to our language that can only be understood when we know it well from a grammatical standpoint. And by knowing, I mean fluently, not just a few vocab words like "noun" and "adverb" but actually having an understanding of how our language works. I was one of those who excelled at the two years of grammar I was given and promptly forgot it. I feel like one of the biggest reasons I'm attracted to classical education is because I want my children to be able to write very well and to be articulate, and grammar is an essential part of that.

:iagree: When I read this, I wondered if this was an old thread, and it was something *I'd* written.

Not all homeschool moms know grammar so well and are able to teach it in context.

For all of you who are wondering if this is you, I've found a wonderful author. She is mentioned in The War On Grammar. Her name is Martha Kolln, and her books can be found used on Amazon. I'm chewing through Rhetorical Grammar with interest. I mention it because I've tried a few other texts and not gotten very far. So far, this and Rex Barks have done the best for me.

I completely agree with OP. This is why I am planning on using Analytical Grammar when my kids are much older. Why beat a dead horse and then beat it some more? Kids can pick it up really quickly once they are old enough. For now, I am content to just let them be exposed to good grammar through read alouds, etc. If only I could get my husband's family to use proper grammar. :banghead: That is my pet peeve! We live in WV and grammar is not a priority here!

I think you have answered your own question! :D

Bill

I completely agree with OP. This is why I am planning on using Analytical Grammar when my kids are much older. Why beat a dead horse and then beat it some more? Kids can pick it up really quickly once they are old enough. For now, I am content to just let them be exposed to good grammar through read alouds, etc. If only I could get my husband's family to use proper grammar. :banghead: That is my pet peeve! We live in WV and grammar is not a priority here!

The question is, will they always live and compete with children from WV?

I have the same issue here in North Georgia, where it seems like the less you know the better. Having worked in major domestic cities and overseas I hope my boy's never encounter a barrier that keeps them from a job or location they might want to try. They will need to compete against their peers regardless of where those peers grew up and were educationed, or not.

Not knowing if my boys are the type that will grasp grammar easily or not I'm sticking with FLL. It's painless, quick, and often enjoyable. Yeap, I said enjoyable.

This is a very interesting topic to me. I didn't have formal grammar training. My grammar has improved, but it's still lacking.

And I'm a professional writer.

I've always been great at the creative end and not-so-great at the grammar end. A sweet boss who took me under her wing said, "I can teach you grammar. I can't teach how to be creative. That's a natural thing."

My worry is that if I'd had the crazy strict diagramming that my friends had that it would have crushed my creative side. (Knowing my personality. I would have been like, "I'm not doing it right I should stop!!")

I'm still teaching my kids every drop of grammar. I use First Lang. Lessons and Writing w/ Ease. I think starting early is imporant.

Overall I think it hindered me not really knowing my grammar.

But, no, as a writer I think over pushing grammar can ruin kid's creative abilities. SWB will be horrified I'm sure. But I stand by this idea.

Alley

Overall I think it hindered me not really knowing my grammar.

I totally agree that no grammar at all could hinder greatly. But this thread isn't about NOT learning grammar at all. It is about delaying it until middle school/junior high and not beating it year after year starting in early elementary.

Why assume grammar has to be taught in a way that "beats the subject to death?"

Many people, I believe, assume this is a subject that has to be painfully boring. But that is not the case. If you tie grammar to an approach that inspires a love and understanding of language and (particularly)illuminates the way ours works, then "grammar" ought to be a subject that tastes good and is good for you.

Bill

Why assume grammar has to be taught in a way that "beats the subject to death?"

:iagree:There is such a huge variety of grammar programs. Pick one that works for your kids! We're using FLL, and it has been wonderful. My son enjoys it. He loves diagramming, just like his mother. :D It's not diagramming things to death though. It teaches a concept, shows how the diagramming works, and moves on to the next concept. The diagrams are already drawn for them, so it's just fill in the blanks and pretty easy.

Even R&S English is gentle and easy in the early years. People make it sound like doing grammar in the early years means learning every little bit of grammar every single year. That's not how it's done. They start with simple concepts, then each year review the simple concepts and add in more complex concepts. Some kids need the review to really get it (no matter what age they are when they start grammar), and some kids need less review. My son is in the latter category, so I don't dwell on review. I use curriculum as a tool, not as a master... in every subject, not just grammar. ;)

I'm looking forward to using MCT next year. I'm sure my son will enjoy it, especially analyzing the sentences. :D

• 2 months later...