Menu

Score one for the homeschooler

Several months ago my ds formed a friendship with a young man who attends a local prep school. His mom happens to teach geometry at the prep school. This school has a wonderful reputation and for years 100% of it's graduates have attended college. She asked me what Geometry we are using and I told her the Jacobs text, Patty papers and Zome. She was very interested in what I thought of Patty Papers. I told her that I was very impressed with the materials and that my son was have a high level success with the program. The hands on aspect of the program really helped him to easily see the concepts and them use that with the proof work. She ordered the materials and after going over them has decided to use them as a suppliment to her classroom. She really thanked me for sharing our results.

Thanks for the link. It looks neat.

How do the exercises line up with Jacobs Geometry? Did ds do these on his own? Do you need the Instructor's manual and the student's? If they are doing everything with the paper (ie. not in the student book), could I just use the instructor's book and the paper? Is the paper different from origami paper?

I've beeb on the lookout for something to make math more fun, do you thinkPatty Paper made geometry more fun for your ds?

How do the exercises line up with Jacobs Geometry? Did ds do these on his own? Do you need the Instructor's manual and the student's? If they are doing everything with the paper (ie. not in the student book), could I just use the instructor's book and the paper? Is the paper different from origami paper?

I've beeb on the lookout for something to make math more fun, do you thinkPatty Paper made geometry more fun for your ds?

Here is a couple of more links that will answer some of your questions:

http://www.eclectichomeschool.org/reviews/individual_review2.asp?revid=2617

The following link answers your question about the student book:

http://www.eclectichomeschool.org/reviews/individual_review2.asp?revid=2618

I can't help you with how PP lines up with Jacob's.

Added: You can buy the teacher's book, student's, and the paper in a set. So far, the cheapest place I found is at Rainbow Resource Center for $28.50 + approx. $4.xx shipping

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Patty+Paper+Geometry%2C+Workbook+%26amp%3B+box+of+paper/PATTYS/1212673770-355181

we were working on Patty Paper. I have not tried to line up the Patty paper with the Jacobs. We are doing just patty paper and Zome during the summer to prepare to Jacobs. Patty paper is a fun, active, activity. One of the things I disliked in Geometry class was how difficult it was to draw the bisectors etc. It is easy with Patty paper because you are folding.

No origami paper will not work. Patty paper is tranlucent and this is required.

I order the set from Rainbow.

Read the teacher instructions they are easy and very helpful.

I think the concepts are very easy to see using this and everyday I am seeing lightbulb go off in my son as he gets the concepts. I know this will be benefitual when we get to Jacobs. I am sure we will refer back to the notebook he is creating using Patty Paper. The notebook has 4 sections; investigations, vocabulary, conjectures and homework. This set up is working beautifully to reinforce the concepts.

I use wax paper that I just cut up. Tissue paper also works, but tears more easily.

Zome are another hands on geometry tool.

Here is the website with a lot of information

http://www.zometool.com/

I also purchased these from Rainbow.

We are working on these in the afternoons and some of the things we have built are amazing. So far we are doing a review of basic geometry terms etc and have not gotten into the more difficult lessons. Basically we are having a lot of fun. The bubble project we did was especially fun. Ds built a dome yesterday and dh was very impressed. At the moment we are doing several of the easy lessons each day (what are these shapes etc) and then I am just letting him go wild with the kit. I purchased the largest kit so some of his creations have been huge. This is also a hit with his friends. Last night we had a huge thunderstorm and he and his friends could not play video games etc. They ended up doing Zomes and had a blast. They even decided to keep bulding with them when the storm was over. They had a contest to see who could build a top that would spin the longest (this is actually future lesson)

:001_smile: I'll have to check those out. Thanks..

Several months ago my ds formed a friendship with a young man who attends a local prep school. His mom happens to teach geometry at the prep school. This school has a wonderful reputation and for years 100% of it's graduates have attended college. She asked me what Geometry we are using and I told her the Jacobs text, Patty papers and Zome. She was very interested in what I thought of Patty Papers. I told her that I was very impressed with the materials and that my son was have a high level success with the program. The hands on aspect of the program really helped him to easily see the concepts and them use that with the proof work. She ordered the materials and after going over them has decided to use them as a suppliment to her classroom. She really thanked me for sharing our results.