Menu

Baby Name Help!

OK, I know I'm new here, but I need some baby name help and thought I'd enlist all of you. We are expecting DC4, unsure of the sex. I can't ask friends IRL because I almost *always* get intense negative reactions. People feel pretty passionately, I guess, and it was tough hearing snarky comments after my dc were already named. We have an eclectic style of names. Really open to anything.

Our first three are:

John St. James aka Jack. Both family names.

Rex Henry Knox. Rex is family name; Henry Knox after the General-swoon, I've read 1776 too many times.

Katerina Frances aka Nina. Just loved Katerina and its versatility, ability to fit in in most languages, many nns, etc.

Some names we have been tossing around:

Caroline nn CeCe- family name

Madeleine

Susannah

Arden- As You Like It

Helena nn Nell- Midsummer Nights' Dream

Amelia

Ramona- family name

Eloise nn Lola- family name

Miriam

Adrienne

Bellamy- family name

Holland- important town to DH and myself.

Blythe

Matilda

Henrietta nn Hattie- family name

Baker- family name

Montgomery

Robert nn Rip- family name

Matteo

Maximus nn Max- too close to Jack and Rex?

Woods

Berend nn Bear- family name

Malcolm

Parish

Theodore nn Theo

Leo

Conrad

Harry

Wolfgang nn Wolfie- family name

TIA!

Personally I think Bellamy sounds more like a boy name than a girl name.

I'd also stay away from Woods. I immediately thought of Tiger Woods when I read that name. I do like Forest or Forrest.

Baker reads okay but pairing it with a last name makes it sound more like an occupation than a name. Think Baker Smith. It goes along with Butcher Jones and Candle Stick Maker Brown.

You might run the same risk with Parish. If you go with that consider spelling it with two r's - Parrish.

Of the girl names I really like

Madeleine

Arden- As You Like It

Amelia

Blythe

Matilda

I really love Madeleine and Matilda but would be afraid of them being nicknamed Maddy, which I really don't like. But you might not have that problem. I love the name Amelia too.

I don't really have a strong reaction either way to the boys names. My least favorite is probably Woods and favorites are probably Leo or Theo.

I have three girls, Lia, Eden, and Lucy. We are expecting a boy and the top name on our list is Milo. I know what you mean about snarky comments about names. Names are such a personal thing. Have fun choosing!

/

Caroline nn CeCe- family name LIKE

Madeleine LIKE, but too popular for my taste

Susannah LIKE

Arden- As You Like It LIKE

Helena nn Nell- Midsummer Nights' Dream LIKE

Amelia dislike

Ramona- family name LIKE...maybe LOVE...this name

Eloise nn Lola- family name dislike

Miriam LIKE, though I think it gives the impression that you are practicing Christians or Jews if that matters to you

Adrienne dislike

Bellamy- family name sounds likea boy's name

Holland- important town to DH and myself. dislike

Blythe dislike

Matilda LIKE

Henrietta nn Hattie- family name LIKE

Baker- family name no

Montgomery no

Robert nn Rip- family name dislike the nn -- I prefer Robby

Matteo no

Maximus nn Max- too close to Jack and Rex? dislike

Woods Tiger Woods? no

Berend nn Bear- family name dislike

Malcolm no

Parish no

Theodore nn Theo LOVE

Leo meh. it's okay.

Conrad no

Harry like

Wolfgang nn Wolfie- family name no

TIA!

OK, I know I'm new here, but I need some baby name help and thought I'd enlist all of you. We are expecting DC4, unsure of the sex. I can't ask friends IRL because I almost *always* get intense negative reactions. People feel pretty passionately, I guess, and it was tough hearing snarky comments after my dc were already named. We have an eclectic style of names. Really open to anything.

Our first three are:

John St. James aka Jack. Both family names.

Rex Henry Knox. Rex is family name; Henry Knox after the General-swoon, I've read 1776 too many times.

Katerina Frances aka Nina. Just loved Katerina and its versatility, ability to fit in in most languages, many nns, etc.

Caroline nn CeCe- family name Like, but very common to me.

Madeleine Same with this

Susannah I love this name.

Arden- As You Like It Cool.

Helena nn Nell- Midsummer Nights' Dream Meh. NMS.

Amelia Cute, but common.

Ramona- family name Dislike

Eloise nn Lola- family name Love name or nn.

Miriam I love this name.

Adrienne Very pretty.

Bellamy- family name I like as a middle name.

Holland- important town to DH and myself. I like this. I know a girl named "Hollis" and I like that, too.

Blythe Blah. NMS.

Matilda dislike

Henrietta nn Hattie- family name dislike

Baker- family name No, I agree with Parrothead on this. Sounds like listing the occupation.

Montgomery dislike. Bad association for me.

Robert nn Rip- family name Rip is a cool nn.

Matteo Yes, I love this.

Maximus nn Max- too close to Jack and Rex? I love Maximus, but I don't like Max. Too many dogs named Max.

Woods No. Maybe as a middle name.

Berend nn Bear- family name NMS; Makes me think of Barron.

Malcolm Sweet. I like this.

Parish No. Not a fan.

Theodore nn Theo Bad association for me.

Leo Powerful name. Love.

Conrad Blah. NMS.

Harry I don't see this as unusual because of Harry Potter.

Wolfgang nn Wolfie- family name Personally, I like Wolf all by itself as a name, but I don't know that I'm that brave. I also like Hawk.

TIA!

I will say this - you will have snarky comments unless you're going with Sarah and Matthew. ;) If you go with anything outside the mainstream, some people will passionately dislike the choice you made and may say so, whether it's pre- or post-baby's birth.

I like "Holland Bellamy"

Edited by Quill

Caroline nn CeCe- family name It's a nice name, but maybe a bit common

Madeleine It's a nice name, but there are about a zillion Maddies, Matties, and Addies running around these days

Susannah NMS

Arden- As You Like It dislike

Helena nn Nell- Midsummer Nights' Dream I wouldn't have thought of it on my own, but as I think about it, I'm liking it more and more. I love the nn Nell.

Amelia I love Amelia, but it's feeling trendy to me now. I know a few baby Amelias.

Ramona- family name I have a cousin named Ramona, and I've always liked the name. Family usually calls her Mona.

Eloise nn Lola- family name Meh

Miriam I'm a big fan of Miriam. Love.

Adrienne Doesn't do anything for me.

Bellamy- family name Dislike

Holland- important town to DH and myself. Dislike

Blythe Dislike

Matilda See Amelia. :) Really though, I love Matilda (especially with the nn Tilly). It does feel a little trendy to me for some reason, but I don't actually know any Matildas.

Henrietta nn Hattie- family name Like :)

Baker- family name I'm not big on surnames for first names, which this sounds like to me.

Montgomery See above. :)

Robert nn Rip- family name Meh. Robert is fine, but I don't like Rip.

Matteo I like Matteo, but I don't feel like it fits with the names of your other children for some reason.

Maximus nn Max- too close to Jack and Rex? I like Max, but when you add up the popularity of all of the names that lead to the nn Max, it starts to move quite near the top of the popularity list.

Woods See Baker. :)

Berend nn Bear- family name Dislike

Malcolm Meh

Parish Dislike

Theodore nn Theo I love Theodore, but I would go with the nn Ted. :)

Leo I like Leo, but it's not my favorite.

Conrad Meh

Harry Like

Wolfgang nn Wolfie- family name I actually love Wolfgang, but I don't think I would be brave enough to use it.

TIA!

For what it's worth, I think your other little ones have lovely names. Good luck with your baby naming!

Our first three are:

John St. James aka Jack. Both family names. I'm guessing here... people thought putting St. in the middle was weird?

Rex Henry Knox. Rex is family name; Henry Knox after the General-swoon, I've read 1776 too many times.The two X's are a bit unusual....

Katerina Frances aka Nina. Just loved Katerina and its versatility, ability to fit in in most languages, many nns, etc.This one I love. Can't imagine why you got flack from it.

Caroline nn CeCe- family nameLike this one.

Madeleine Like this one.

SusannahLike this one.

Arden- As You Like It

Helena nn Nell- Midsummer Nights' DreamLike this one.

AmeliaLike this one.

Ramona- family nameLike this one.

Eloise nn Lola- family nameLike this one.

MiriamLike this one.

AdrienneLike this one.

Bellamy- family name

Holland- important town to DH and myself.

Blythe

Matilda

Henrietta nn Hattie- family name

Baker- family name

Montgomery

Robert nn Rip- family name

Matteo

Maximus nn Max- too close to Jack and Rex?

Woods

Berend nn Bear- family name

MalcolmLike this one.

Parish

Theodore nn TheoLike this one.

LeoLike this one.

ConradLike this one.

HarryLike this one.

Wolfgang nn Wolfie- family name

TIA!

I'm not too crazy about surnames as first names. I am very traditional.

I'm trying to go based off your other kids and what I see as your taste.

Caroline nn CeCe- family name Only saying maybe because it is a family name and you have a theme there

Helena nn Nell- Midsummer Nights' Dream I think this one goes well with your dd's name. I'd probably nn Laina.

Amelia I also think this goes well with DD's name

Eloise nn Lola- family name Think this fits AND it's a family name! However, I wouldn't nn Lola. I would say the name out and *IF* I nicknamed, it'd probably be Elle.

Matilda I think this would go well

Matteo LOVE this name. Not so sure it goes though.

Maximus nn Max- too close to Jack and Rex? I think it goes very well with your other boys' names

Theodore nn Theo I think this goes well with your other kids names

Wolfgang nn Wolfie- family name I want to like. LOL But I also think it may go.

My own ideas may be slightly different (Names I've chosen: Kimberly, Tyler, Victoria, Jeremiah, Kirsten, Anthony....and I wish I had a Benjamin :)).

Edited by 2J5M9K