Menu

Homogenized vs. Non-homogenized

We went on a tour of a local dairy a few weeks ago and I was very impressed. I'm used to the huge commercial dairies out in TX and was prepared to be completely grossed out. This was really very nice.

The family has just started selling their milk under their own label. It is low-temp pasteurized, non- homogenized. The ownder gave us a big spiel about the health benefits of non-homogenized milk which sounded very good, but I can't find a ton to back it up or disprove it. It is so much more expensive I want some real information to justify my decision, kwim?

Any knowledge to share?

If you can't afford the non-homogenized milk from such a dairy, you can buy nonfat milk and add heavy whipping cream to it. I learned of this from Sue Gregg of natural cookbook fame. I think it was 2/3 cup per half gallon of milk. I did this for quite some time.

I only buy VAT (low heat) pasteurized, non-homogenized milk and dairy.

Summary from Natural News:

When milk is homogenized, it is pushed through a fine filter at pressures of 4,000 pounds per square inch. In this process, the fat globules are made smaller by a factor of ten times or more. These fat molecules then become evenly dispersed throughout the milk.

Milk is a hormonal delivery system. When homogenized, milk becomes very powerful and efficient at bypassing normal digestive processes and delivering steroid and protein hormones to the human body (both your hormones and the cow's natural hormones and the ones they may have been injected with to produce more milk).

Homogenization makes fat molecules in milk smaller and they become "capsules" for substances that are able to bypass digestion. Proteins that would normally be digested in the stomach are not broken down and instead they are absorbed into the bloodstream.

The homogenization process breaks up an enzyme in milk which in its smaller state can then enter the bloodstream and react against arterial walls. This causes the body to protect the area with a layer of cholesterol. If this only happened once in a while it wouldn't be of big concern, but if it happens regularly there are long term risks.

Proteins were created to be easily broken down by digestive processes. Homogenization disrupts this and insures their survival so that they enter the bloodstream. Many times the body reacts to foreign proteins by producing histamines, and then mucus. Sometimes homogenized milk proteins resemble a human protein and can become triggers for autoimmune diseases such as diabetes or multiple sclerosis.