Menu

Winning with Writing on grade level?

Mama2two

For those of you using Winning With Writing are most of you finding the grade levels about accurate?

I am torn between grade 2 and 3 for my 7 year old son. He likes to write stories of his own in a journal and would like to give him some more guidance (we are also doing Writing with Ease)

I can't speak to grade 2 but my DS is using grade 3 while DD is using grade 4. Grade 3 seems pretty easy to me and doesn't seem to have much in the way of actual "writing." Right now it seems to be teaching more about word order in sentences, recognizing sentence fragments, choppy sentences vs run on sentences, sentences that don't belong in a given paragraph, that sort of thing. DD's grade 4 book has more writing. She is learning to outline and write paragraphs using a topic sentence, detail sentences and ending sentences. It looks like 3 is a good progression to 4 where the writing assignments definitely increase.

Sorry I don't know anything about grade 2 but I hope this helps you!

I can't speak to grade 2 but my DS is using grade 3 while DD is using grade 4. Grade 3 seems pretty easy to me and doesn't seem to have much in the way of actual "writing." Right now it seems to be teaching more about word order in sentences, recognizing sentence fragments, choppy sentences vs run on sentences, sentences that don't belong in a given paragraph, that sort of thing. DD's grade 4 book has more writing. She is learning to outline and write paragraphs using a topic sentence, detail sentences and ending sentences. It looks like 3 is a good progression to 4 where the writing assignments definitely increase.

Sorry I don't know anything about grade 2 but I hope this helps you!

it does, thanks!

Yes, grade level would be a great starting point. I bought WWW3 for my dd7/2nd but it is a bit too advanced for her so we are taking it slow and working through WWE2. She is not a strong writer. Sounds like your son might be fine w/ level 3. Look at the table of contents. Level 3 begins with sentence work and then addresses paragraph structure among other random writing topics.

My 7yo is using WWW level 2 (he is in 2nd grade) and it's just right for him. He's not ready to write a paragraph but does great with writing his own sentences and the various other types of exercises the book includes.

My 9yo is using WWW level 4 (he is in 4th grade). In some ways I wish I had put him in the level 3 book because that is the level where they teach how to write a good paragraph (so says their website). In the level 4 book they are having the kids write multiple paragraphs. Although if I had put him in level 3 it probably would have been too easy otherwise - what I'm doing now is we're taking a break from WWW4 to do a month of an outlining workbook and then Paragraph writing made easy, then we'll go back to WWW4. He is about 12 weeks into it I think.

My 11yo is using WWW level 5 and it's a pretty good fit for him. He's also doing WWS though.

Can I get placement help too?:)

Dd just turned 8, doing very well in GWG 4, almost through WWE 2 but it is a challenge, very good creative writer, understands the mechanics of paragraph writing but is not good at getting paragraphs on paper. I'm torn between WWW 3 and 4.

Dd just turned 8, doing very well in GWG 4, almost through WWE 2 but it is a challenge, very good creative writer, understands the mechanics of paragraph writing but is not good at getting paragraphs on paper. I'm torn between WWW 3 and 4.

I would do WWW3 because the assignments will be more single paragraph than multiple paragraph. In general I tend toward the side of choosing the level the child will be successful at, just fyi, so YMMV.

If she is not effectively writing in paragraphs yet, I would consider WWE3. You could always move faster/skip bits of the weeks until strong paragraph writing, but I think it's always better to review/ease in to it than jump ahead of your comfortable skill level.

I would do WWW3 because the assignments will be more single paragraph than multiple paragraph. In general I tend toward the side of choosing the level the child will be successful at, just fyi, so YMMV.

If she is not effectively writing in paragraphs yet, I would consider WWE3. You could always move faster/skip bits of the weeks until strong paragraph writing, but I think it's always better to review/ease in to it than jump ahead of your comfortable skill level.

Thank you! How hard would it be to use WWW 3 as a non consumable, especially assuming some lessons would be condensed/skipped?

Thank you! How hard would it be to use WWW 3 as a non consumable, especially assuming some lessons would be condensed/skipped?

Well, you could photocopy pages, but there are many areas in which the student is just asked to choose from a list of words, etc. There are several pages you could just instruct the child to do th writing on separate lined paper. If she is already a good writer, you may move through the first semester quickly or do some of it orally and then focus on the writing, all of which would be easy to do on separate paper. Then you could reuse the book.