Menu

S/O Hugging in church-Keillor responds (sort of)

There was a thread last week about the church service where the pastor asked the congregation to hug those around them, which made the OP feel uncomfortable. Many posters agreed, some also disliking the hand-shaking during "giving of peace".

It was suggested by a couple of posters that the OP look for a "Keilloresque church", referring to Garrison Keillor, the Lutheran host of "Prairie Home Companion".

Well, about 5 minutes ago, I walked into the kitchen, to find "Prairie Home Companion" on the radio. Keillor and a guest were in the midst of a song, and these were the lyrics I heard:

"Don't expect to be hugged, or your hand to be shook. If we want to know who the heck you are, we'll look you up in the visitor's book." Followed by the refrain of, "I'm a Lutheran..."

I just about fell over laughing. I guess Mr. Keillor must have been reading that thread! :lol:

(No offense to Lutherans, my mother is one, and they do shake hands during the "giving of peace" in her congregation.) The coincidence was just too hilarious not to post about!

(No offense to Lutherans, my mother is one, and they do shake hands during the "giving of peace" in her congregation.) The coincidence was just too hilarious not to post about!

Today he's broadcasting from St. Olaf's!

For all die-hard PHC fans, be sure to take a look around for The Vinyl Cafe. It is a smaller, more peripatetic, Canadian version.

There was a thread last week about the church service where the pastor asked the congregation to hug those around them, which made the OP feel uncomfortable. Many posters agreed, some also disliking the hand-shaking during "giving of peace".

It was suggested by a couple of posters that the OP look for a "Keilloresque church", referring to Garrison Keillor, the Lutheran host of "Prairie Home Companion".

Well, about 5 minutes ago, I walked into the kitchen, to find "Prairie Home Companion" on the radio. Keillor and a guest were in the midst of a song, and these were the lyrics I heard:

"Don't expect to be hugged, or your hand to be shook. If we want to know who the heck you are, we'll look you up in the visitor's book." Followed by the refrain of, "I'm a Lutheran..."

I just about fell over laughing. I guess Mr. Keillor must have been reading that thread! :lol:

If you are keen on Lutheran humour, his Lutheran's Guide to the Orchestra is very funny.

You might also enjoy some of the products on this website:

Old Lutheran The Center for Lutheran Pride (but not too proud)