Menu

Raw eggs in vanilla ice cream?

Wouldn't bother me. I've eaten all sorts of things with raw eggs, like homemade mayo and smoothies with a raw egg added in, and I've never once gotten so much as a stomach ache. As long as the eggs haven't been sitting in your fridge for several months, you should be fine.

Thanks, I didn't think it was a big deal:001_smile:

Lisa

After reading an article in our paper on this topic years ago, I added a step to the Ben & Jerry's recipe. I reserve one cup of the cream out, then heat the mixture with repeated microwave cycles until it is at 165°, then add in the last cup of cream and refrigerate several hours or overnight before freezing. If you have an egg source that you know you can trust this might not be necessary, but if your eggs come from the grocery store via some large egg factory-farm, this will prevent salmonella if any is present. Salmonella is a lot more prevalent than it used to be.

I wish my store carried those irradiated eggs. You can safely use them raw.

The idea of heating the eggs with some of the cream is brilliant.

I have always been fine with raw eggs, but what happened last year really bothered me. For so long, salmonella illness related to eggs had been in restaurant settings where large quantities and improper handling were obviously to blame. No longer. I have lost my comfort zone.