Menu

Apologia in a Co-Op

mom31257

Has anyone used Flying or Swimming Creatures in a co-op setting? A friend and I are considering doing a co-op next year that would meet every other week. We would do writing (IEW) and science. If the families use the book at home, would you just do experiments/activities, or would you do more? I think we will have 1-1.5 hours for the class.

How many children would be the most you would allow to join? We will probably keep the writing class to 2nd/3rd grade through 5th/6th grade. I've never used Apologia, so I'm not sure the best age range for it.

I use Apologia but not in a coop setting. The books are designed to use for a wide age range. Younger students might have trouble reading the text on their own. If I were planning to use it in a coop I would probably have the reading done outside of coop and then do experiments and notebook pages for the coop assignments. It would be a lot of reading to try to do in a group setting. You could also do supplemental library books and/or dvd's. The notebooks have suggestions for each chapter.

Our co-op does Swimming Creaturres this year for 3-5th graders. They meet every week for 1 hour. Kids were reading a few pages at home every week. Class size was limited to about 12 students in a classroom w/ a teacher and an aide. Reading at home, some reading in the classroom, quizzes in the classroom, building of a model/ diorama and exeriments.

The 1-2nd graders are doing a version of Apologia's Biology. It's being taught by a nurse, so I think it's mainly just her science class b/c we don't even have a book at home and it seems a tad young for Apologia w/o tagging along w/ an older sibiling.

Had to edit this to add that I hadn't looked at the Swimming Creatures book much during the school year. When we went on vacation to the beach my son suggested brining it along. I LOVED IT!!!! I wish they had an Apoligia class every year! I think it's a fantastic curriculum and I don't think you can go wrong do anything w/ it in a group setting.

We have not done Flying or Swimming Creatures yet. We have done Human Anatomy and Botany (last year) and are doing Astronomy this semester. We do them in a co-op setting. Last year it was K-5 with a teacher and an aide for 16 kids. This year it is 2nd-8th grade split into 2nd-5th (8 kids) and 6th-8th (3 kids). We decide to use Elemental Science Intro to Science for the K-1st crowd because Apologia was a bit much for them last year; it is going much better this year.

We meet once a week for one hour. 2nd-5th does a Jeopardy style review and the project. The older kids do a discussion to include current astrological events and lesson review. Sometimes their projects are from the Janice VanCleave book.

I think if you were to do one book the whole year, you could meet every other week. As far as class size, I think 8-10 is good for one teacher or a bit more for a teacher and an aide.

Best of luck!

Our co-op is currently doing Swimming Creatures. We offer two classes one is 7-9 year olds and then the other is 9-11 year olds. The first class uses the junior journal and the other one is using the standard journal. The classes are usually kept around 10-12 kids at the max. Dd is in the younger class. We do the readings and the journal at home and then in class they do the try its/experiments along with making models for their box/display. They even had the zoo moblie come in for one class. Our classes last for about an hour.

For those who are doing it in a co-op, what other subjects do you do in the co-op?

We do an hour of history using HOD PHFHG (projects, maps, and timelines in class), art using MtM (projects in class), and science using Apologia Astronomy (review/projects in class). The classes are once a week for 36 weeks (2 of those weeks are parties/art shows). We have about 20 kids from PreK-8th grade.

I teach Swimming Creatures at our co-op. The class has 18 kids and we have 3 adult helpers. Advance 3rd grades - 6th grade.

We meet once a week for 1 hour.

I love this class!

I do some of the experiments at co-op. Some are just so messy- we skip them at co-op.

I have a pdf file of class plans if you would like it. PM me. :)

We also have a Spanish teacher come every mtg. that we pay (my native neighbor). The other main thing we do are presentations. We meet 2x/month with presentations one time and science experiments the next. We're not picky about science exp. matching where we are with reading and will double up, or have a summer 'science day' to catch up if needed. Then on warm days we do some P.E. activities from a homeschool P.E. book, cold/rainy days we do hymns/poetry with cocoa and snacks.

We also do beg. of year/end of year celebrations. We go out for donuts or a cheap lunch, often followed by a co-op time or planning meeting/playdate. We bring valentines to our Feb. mtg. and do a bit of Christmas celebration at our Dec. mtg. Occasionally we'll do a fieldtrip, if somebody wants to plan and invite the other families. That's about it:) It takes about 2 1/2 hrs. We love it! Blessings, Gina

• 1 year later...