Menu

Is Miquon enough?

abidnginhim

We used Miquon successfully on its own - without even the Cuisenaire rods (don't tell Bill...) - for the first two girls. Of course you're never just doing a math curriculum by itself at that age, and you're probably going to have games and non-curricular "extras"; but I think that's really plenty.

With Wee Girl, I'm combining it with Singapore workbooks (not the texts) just because she likes lots and lots of math stuff to do that's on the same level, and the Miquon doesn't provide enough to please her. But it's not like we're adding lessons.

I paired Miquon with Horizons. I would not use Miquon as a stand-alone, but my dds started it as 1rst graders. I did not want them to miss any concepts and enjoyed the reinforcement miquon had to offer. You are starting with a very young child, so miquon, by itself, might be fine for your dc. You can always supplement later if you find that it is not enough. If you get through all 6 of the books without trouble, then you won't be holding your dc back by going into more advanced levels in anther curriculum provider versus subjecting them to over-reviewing the basics like you would have done if you did it my way.

I think so. We take the Singapore lessons and Miquon-ize them. At a young age, especially, it is a fine stand-alone.

:iagree:

I've learnt that I'm not one for using just one math curriculum (my DS 10 is currently using six :lol:), but I think Miquon can stand alone. I use it without much supplementation, maybe a few living books, for K.