Menu

Book Suggestion for 18 yo girl

PiCO

Hi, everyone-

I have a great book picked out for my 13-yo for Christmas. It's a newly released hard cover. I would like to get an excellent book for my 18 yo also.

She's a senior in high school, looking forward (with quite a bit of concern) to living on her own next year. Might go to college, might get a job out of state and take a gap year or two. She always wanted to be a veterinarian, but now is balking at spending that much time in school. So now she's not sure what she wants to be when she grows up.

We are atheists, so no religious books please. All other suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

Maybe a nice hardcover of one of James Herriot's books? All Creatures Great and Small or Dog Stories or just his Best of...those are my favorites. :) Depending on how much you want to spend, you could get a signed copy.

This was going to be my suggestion too. I'd suggest the 4 volume set if you could find it for a reasonable price. Amazon has it for $250.:eek:

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Kareni-for pleasure, she generally reads fantasy and future dystopia. (Is that a word? I mean books like Hunger Games, Uglies, etc.)

For school, she has enjoyed The Book Thief and Fahrenheit 451.

I'm kind of thinking of getting her a book on living on her own and being a "real adult" though, I just have no ideas what would work for that.

We do have all the James Herriot books, and she has enjoyed them.

84 Charing Cross Road. Short but absolutely wonderful. Can't go wrong with P.G. Wodehouse, either.

On a more practical side, how about something on basic home repair/project skills? 40 Days to the Work You Love? Hmmm. That's a tough one.

A nice volume (or two) of Shakespeare? LoTR? Winnie-the-Pooh is particularly good to read when you are going out on your own.

Great dystopian novels:

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

World War Z by Max Brooks

Anthem by Ayn Rand

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

some of Neal Stephenson's novels

There are more, obviously, but many have disturbing elements. lol Lots of classics like Brave New World, etc.

Here are some newer ones (stand-alone or first in a trilogy/series):

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Matched by Ally Condie

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Salt by Maurice Gee

Everlost by Neal Shusterman

Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien

*I have read and enjoyed ALL of the more recent titles above. :)

Kareni-for pleasure, she generally reads fantasy and future dystopia. (Is that a word? I mean books like Hunger Games, Uglies, etc.)

I'm kind of thinking of getting her a book on living on her own and being a "real adult" though, I just have no ideas what would work for that.

This thread which recently took place on the high school board might give you some leads for dystopian titles -- Dystopian Novels?

On the "real world" front, I have no first hand knowledge of these books, but they both sound intriguing. (My library has them; perhaps yours does, too.)

Ten Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Went Out into the Real World by Maria Shriver

The RAT: The Real World Aptitude Test: Preparing Yourself for Leaving Home by Homer Moyer

Regards,

Kareni

This thread which recently took place on the high school board might give you some leads for dystopian titles -- Dystopian Novels?

On the "real world" front, I have no first hand knowledge of these books, but they both sound intriguing. (My library has them; perhaps yours does, too.)

Ten Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Went Out into the Real World by Maria Shriver

The RAT: The Real World Aptitude Test: Preparing Yourself for Leaving Home by Homer Moyer

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you! I will look into those. And the thread.