Menu

Anyone live near Las Cruces NM or El Paso Texas?

For the last 6 months my husband's company has been telling us that we can take a temporary move to Salt Lake City. We were all excited about moving up there but now they are saying they may not have a spot for him. Instead he could work at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico.

I know nothing of the area around White Sands. My husband has been out there for a quick trip but that was before we had kids so he wasn't looking at it from that perspective.

So if anyone is in either of those areas please tell me the good and the bad about living in the area.

I know homeschool regulations are easy. I'm mainly looking for if it is a good/safe area to have kids.

My family is from that area, parents live near there now and went to college in LC-

It is hot desert but I think you are probably aware of that! There are some places to hike and get out though, it's not totally desolate.

I don't think LC has quite the crime that Albuquerque or even Deming might have, certainly not nearly like El Paso! White Sands would at least be off that drug highway a bit.

We looked at moving to LC a few years ago-I'd plan on keeping the kids pretty close and being particular. There are some really great people there but there is an undercurrent too. Homeschooling is different than just throwing them in the public school and losing touch with them so I don't think it would worry me too much on a temporary basis.

For the last 6 months my husband's company has been telling us that we can take a temporary move to Salt Lake City. We were all excited about moving up there but now they are saying they may not have a spot for him. Instead he could work at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico.

I know nothing of the area around White Sands. My husband has been out there for a quick trip but that was before we had kids so he wasn't looking at it from that perspective.

So if anyone is in either of those areas please tell me the good and the bad about living in the area.

I know homeschool regulations are easy. I'm mainly looking for if it is a good/safe area to have kids.

There is a good sized homeschool community in Las Cruces, I'm not sure about Alamogordo, which is actually closer than Las Cruces or El Paso. I also don't know Texas homeschool laws.

NM homeschool laws: 1. you must follow compulsory attendance laws (for the homeschooler you must keep a schedule with 180 days of school marked)

2. You must follow immunization laws or provide an exception

3. You must register with the Public Education Division yearly

4. You must have received a high school diploma or equivalent

There are homeschool groups and a fairly well established forensics group in Las Cruces (if I'm remembering correctly).

You are probably in for culture shock if you haven't been exposed to NM/TX before. You children will probably have a hard time understanding what people are saying due to the accent as well as local colloquialisms. That was a big for me when I moved to the NM/TX border at 10 years old. That area of NM/TX is flat and brown all winter, cold and windy, but not much snow. It's green in a different way most of the year (winter is only Jan-Mar usually). There are trees and green weeds. There are beautiful mountains. It's a different kind of beautiful than you have in other parts of the US. You might want to find pictures to prepare yourselves and your kids. I really don't think anyplace else beats our sunsets out here. The only better sunrises I've seen have been over the Wasatch Mtns in Salt Lake City.

My mom lives in Carrizozo, NM, about an hour from the Missile Range. You will want to stay away from very small, rural towns like this. You will be isolated and there may not be any other homeschooling families for an hour or more. These small towns may be tempted but try to realize the reality of the isolation. Also, NM has quite the meth problem in rural small towns so just watch out for that.

I don't mean to bash NM, but I also wish people would be honest and tell the bad with the good when I ask for advise. That's what I've tried to do for you. I can't think of anything else, but feel free to ask pointed questions! I've lived in a few different areas of NM and have family all over NM and west TX. My uncle worked the oil fields so I know alot about SW TX as well.

I love NM because we have everything here, desert, mountains, lakes, streams, skiing (water, snow and cross country). We live near Albuquerque and are 4 hours from any part of the state. There's tons of rich history here and plenty of opportunities for field trips.

Thank you all for the information.

Cheryl - Thank you for all that you posted. I agree that people need an honest answer about living in different places. If I wanted just a rosy picture of the city I would look on any realtor's or city website ;) If you really want to know what it's like you have to ask the people who live there.

My dh used to do lots of testing at White Sands. It is really important to find out where the job is since White Sands Missile Range is huge. The job my husband was considering a few years ago was in the area nearest to Las Cruces although El Paso was also within driving distance but on the complete other side from Alamogordo. Other jobs are near Alamogordo and some may be nearer Socorro, NM. I know that was where my dh would go to spend nights if his tests were multi-day.

We recently moved from north Mississippi to Roswell, NM. If you move to LC or Alamagordo, let me know. Maybe we can meet up sometime - at least we southerners will be able to understand each other!

It has been a shock for us. Mostly because Roswell is 3hrs from...anywhere. The isolation of this small town is daunting (not nearly as small as Carrizozo, as Cheryl mentioned). We have everything we need here, but very little in the way of entertainment or shopping. Alamagordo wouldn't be so bad just because it close to LC, which is a bigger place.

The landscape is stark - and the never-ending wind gets on my last nerve, but the perks are great: No humidity! No mosquitoes! Any southern girl can appreciate that!

NM is almost impossible to gauge without seeing.

THAT is so true. And even then....

Try googling "city name" plus "homeschool group" or "yahoo group" to connect with other homeschoolers in the area. Here in Roswell, we don't have a formal group, but we do have a Yahoo group that keeps everyone connected for occasional gatherings. We have met a few homeschool families who have become our support.

My dh used to do lots of testing at White Sands. It is really important to find out where the job is since White Sands Missile Range is huge.

I believe that it is closer to the Las Cruces side of the Range which is why my DH suggested that area.

Just noticed that you are in Huntsville - We are on the north end of town :D

We recently moved from north Mississippi to Roswell, NM. If you move to LC or Alamagordo, let me know. Maybe we can meet up sometime - at least we southerners will be able to understand each other!

The landscape is stark - and the never-ending wind gets on my last nerve, but the perks are great: No humidity! No mosquitoes! Any southern girl can appreciate that!

No humidity and no mosquitoes sounds heavenly even if it comes with a desert landscape ;)

Try googling "city name" plus "homeschool group" or "yahoo group" to connect with other homeschoolers in the area.

I have done that and found a large Mom's group and a yahoo group for homeschoolers.

I forgot about Socorro. I don't know about the hs community there; it's pretty small, but my mom drives an hour to shop at Smith's and Walmart there. There is a technical college in Socorro. I wouldn't agree to live anywhere you didn't visit first. NM is almost impossible to gauge without seeing.

We would definitely be most likely to live near LC where there is more shopping etc than the smaller areas around WSMR.

The extra drive onto the range wouldn't be that big of a deal considering DH was going to be driving 3 hours a day to get to/from the Range outside of Salt Lake City.

I have only been to other part of New Mexico (Albuquerque, Gallup, etc) but never felt unsafe traveling with just my daughter and an older aunt. I also know quite a few people from El Paso who really like it there. I wanted to chime in specifically about homeschooling law in Texas because I'm near Houston. It takes 12 hours to drive to El Paso from here but we are still in Texas.:)

Texas is a very homeschool friendly state. You should be able to find co-ops and support groups most everywhere. You can google setsa or southeast Texas homeschool to get links to the regulations but they are pretty minimal. They mostly deal with pulling kids out who've been in ps before. I do know El Paso isn't in southeast texas...they just have good links on the site.

I ended up driving into White Sands twice this week for DH.

The main "building" area is exactly one hour from Fort Bliss. It would be about 45 minutes from the housing in North east El Paso. It was an easy drive. DH has been driving up daily for the past 6 weeks.

Too bad you aren't military. They have some pretty nice new housing on WSMR.

I'm not sure what size town you are used to but Alamogordo and Las Cruces would be way too small for me to live in. El Paso is large population but small area and it doesn't have a lot of things that I'm used to having.

Thanks for all the information.

We are moving out to Las Cruces during the week between Christmas and New Years. My husband was out there this week and managed to find a house to rent. It will be an adjustment for us but it's only temporary and we get to return to our home in October - I keep reminding myself that I can do anything for 9-10 months when it comes with making lots of extra $$$. I think the biggest adjustment will be the desert climate. We are used to small town living having lived in rural Kansas for part of our lives but we have never lived in a climate like NM.

My family is from that area, parents live near there now and went to college in LC-

It is hot desert but I think you are probably aware of that! There are some places to hike and get out though, it's not totally desolate.

I don't think LC has quite the crime that Albuquerque or even Deming might have, certainly not nearly like El Paso! White Sands would at least be off that drug highway a bit.

We looked at moving to LC a few years ago-I'd plan on keeping the kids pretty close and being particular. There are some really great people there but there is an undercurrent too. Homeschooling is different than just throwing them in the public school and losing touch with them so I don't think it would worry me too much on a temporary basis.

:iagree:

We have family in Deming and LC is great for families. I like the eastern side of LC off the I-25 -- it is a newer subdivision and nicer area. Be prepared to see more majority population Hispanic (but friendly) and a lot more poverty. New Mexico's population is very rural and poor. I would not go to Cuidad Juarez or Palomas (south of Deming) -- which is sad but there is a lot going on you don't want to visit there. For some reason, I found it difficult to get a hold of support groups in LC, but they are there. Just a little harder to find. El Paso will be a hop skip and jump for you for field trips. Enjoy!

Edited by tex-mex

Thanks for all the information.

We are moving out to Las Cruces during the week between Christmas and New Years. My husband was out there this week and managed to find a house to rent. It will be an adjustment for us but it's only temporary and we get to return to our home in October - I keep reminding myself that I can do anything for 9-10 months when it comes with making lots of extra $$$. I think the biggest adjustment will be the desert climate. We are used to small town living having lived in rural Kansas for part of our lives but we have never lived in a climate like NM.

The Organ mountains around Cruces are absolutely beautiful! Las Cruces also gets snow. If I remember correctly, there are trees and almost 4 seasons in Cruces. I bet you'll love it. Especially since it's temporary.