Menu

Ballet Based DVDs ~ Physique 57, Bar Method

Which Ballet DVDs?  

1. 1. Which Ballet DVDs?

• Physique 57
    • Bar Method
    • Individual DVDs - amazon, collage, etc.
    • The Usual Other

Sorry to sound like a complete and indecisive flake :tongue_smilie:. As I patiently wait for some of my ballet-based DVDs to arrive, I keep adding and deleting things to my never-ending wish list. Not to buy immediately, but to slowly build up - birthdays, etc. I love them all and obviously want them all. :D Yikes.

Can you help me decide which seems better?

Physique 57

6 DVDs for just under $100.

physique-57-workout-dvd-cases-discs.jpg

I've heard the instructor jabbers on endlessly, but they seem effective and very popular in the infomercial sort of way.

The Bar Method - already ordered one - just seems more classy overall :D - not sure why, just feel that way.

187be22ddf515415_BAR-METHOD-EXERCISE_4_.png

Other - just individual DVDs from my amazon wish list - different instructors, more variety - I did my research on collage video - too bad that collage doesn't have reviews on either of the above

Mary Helen Bowers - who trained Natalie Portman for Black Swan

Angles, Lines and Curves II

Cathe Friedrich has very good reviews on collage.

Karen Voight Ballet Body Sculpt

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I voted for the bar method. Not a scientific vote, but I've always wanted to have a bar (the ballet kind) in my home.

You don't need a barre to use The Bar Method. I use a chair or my dining room table.

It does seem like fun to have a barre, but don't let that hold you back from doing the workout, if you want to.

Thank you all. :)

I've always wanted to have a bar (the ballet kind) in my home.

Glad you clarified that. You made me giggle, even though you probably weren't trying to be funny. Having the other kind of bar :smilielol5:.

I voted 57.

I also like how Ballet Beautiful looks.

I would love to have them all. :D

Ballet Beautiful looks gorgeous. :)

She even offers live online classes.

Oh wow. Now that would be a real treat. :D

You don't need a barre to use The Bar Method. I use a chair or my dining room table.

It does seem like fun to have a barre, but don't let that hold you back from doing the workout, if you want to.

Yes, thank you. I got so much info, all thanks to you. :grouphug: :D

I think that Physique 57 might require some stuff. Not sure. I emailed them and am waiting to hear back.

Do you use the ball for some of the DVDs? I know that I will likely need one further one down the road. Seems like many use those small balls.

My goal/plan is to do a ballet-based/pilates/challenging yoga DVD every other day or so. Since it will be so often, I will likely get bored and need variety.

The other days, I plan on doing cardio/weights/walking/swimming/rebounding/whatever.

I hope I can do this and stick to it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are interested, I'll share an update. :) I have some new DVDs which I absolutely love and I've been doing endless research on various sites.

Physique 57 - not want I want. Too infomercial-ish. Not for me.

Bar Method - I have a few of their DVDs now and everyone that I've tried has been great. Clear instruction, tough, effective. Makes my muscles work in ways that I didn't know were possible. :D

Mary Helen Bowers - read some reviews on amazon and decided against it. Yes, she looks gorgeous, but unless it goes on sale super-cheap, I won't be getting these. Amazon doesn't even offer them at the moment.

Kari Anderson - I have one, but haven't yet had time to try it out. Will keep you all updated if anyone's interested.

Cathe Friedrich Turbo Barre - most complain that it's excessively long - 75 minutes or so. Some like it and some don't. Still thinking about this one.

Lotte Berk - I got these cheap on amazon. They might seem a bit weird to some, but they're good and give excellent instruction, especially for newbies like me.

These are the ones I have and like very much so far, pretty much in order of preference:

Bar Method: Super Sculpting I

Bar Method: Beginners Workout

Lotte Berk Method: High Round Assets

Bar Method: Designer Sculpting

Lotte Berk: Hip Hugger Abs

Bar Method: Fat Free

Bar Method: Change Your Body

• 1 month later...

which of these do you recommend for someone with dance experience? i went to a performing arts academy for middle and high school and was a dance major in college up until sophmore year. i got an injury in my knee where i wouldn't be able to continue dancing anymore. i was considering physique 57 and the barre method but not really sure. what did you not like about physique 57?

which of these do you recommend for someone with dance experience?

Hmmm ... since I have no dance experience, I'm not very qualified to answer your question. From the research I've done maybe the New York City Ballet ones. But you mentioned a knee injury, the VF forums that I linked have a few threads about that, which workouts to do for those with a knee injury.

I haven't yet tried or seen much of Physique 57. Many seem to not like it, because it's too fast, etc. I do know that it's not as popular for beginners, as say, The Dailey Method, which is very popular.

One system that seems absolutely fabulous, I mean, really, really good that I keep hearing about and am waiting to receive - is Classical Stretch. Wow - basically is the overall impression I get. She was a former dancer who was also injured. I've been looking at these and reading up on them for quite a while now.

One question, why is the bar method soooo expensive??

I don't know. They're about $17-$20 per DVD. You might get some cheaper on ebay, but that's hard to do maybe.

Total Fitness DVDs has many other great barre workouts - and fabulous prices and service. You can use their "10off" coupon code and get free shipping as well. Also, they often have "Weekly Specials" - which are really, really good. Go to the left-hand side of the home page. Or, sign up for them. A week or so ago, their DVDs started out at $1.99!