Menu

Can anyone recommend a good Bible curriculum?

I have a 5th & 8th grader and would like a good Genesis to Revelation Bible curriculum. I have looked at Harcourts Journey through the Old Testament and Journey through the New Testament and asked for thoughts on this on the high school board. Several folks looked but no one responded, so I thought I would ask for recommendations for a good Bible curriculum on this board.

I have also looked at the Rod & Staff grades 5 - 8.

I believe that the Harcourt is a high school level curriculum so that's why I asked on the high school board first.

Any and all opinions would be welcomed!

Thanks for your help!:)

We use Our Spiritual Heritage (http://www.ourspiritualheritage.com/BibleStudy.htm), which is probably not exactly what you are looking for, but I love it so much I wanted to throw it out there. It is geared toward elementary ages, so is probably too basic for your 8th grader. I like it because it covers Bible stories, but topically rather than strictly chronologically. It is designed to give kids an overview of the Bible and how the stories of the Bible fit into the overall plan God has for us.

Another study that might be a better option for you is the History and Geography of the Bible Story (http://www.thedowsschoolroom.com/biblewaldronhistorygeography.shtml). I've taken a class using this book and it is very detailed about the stories from Genesis to Revelation and has a detailed map study. I enjoyed it so much and learned so much that i am planning to have my sons do the study once they are old enough (jr high or high school age). The authors of this study guide also have written a series they call the Bible Narrative Cycle. It is a series of 9 books that tell the entire story of God's plan to bring salvation to the world. The lessons include an interesting narrative of the Bible story, historical information, map work, suggested memory work, charts and lists to help students remember the information. I haven't used this material (I just came across it when looking for the book I mentioned above), but it sounds intriguing to me and might be along the lines of you are looking for? (http://www.thedowsschoolroom.com/biblewaldronnarrative.shtml)

A friend of mine has always used R&S for bible, and she absolutely loves it! She told me it is Very in-depth, and that she is even learning new things right along with her daughter! She used grade 5 this year, and I want to say it took a good 45 minutes a lesson. She wouldn't use anything else.

Hope this helps!

Karen