Menu

Distance Learning

Anyone's children using the option of distance learning for all their college? Do you feel prospective employers would look an a distance learning degree the same as one from an actual B&M school? What would be the downside to obtaining a degree this way? I know there are some fields that distance would be unpractical ( medical related fields etc) but are there some fields of study that this would be a good option?

Thanks!

Not my children, but I'm doing my degree online. Nothing about my degree says anything about online classes, however. Every class I'm taking is also offered on campus at the school, I just never have to go there. It could be quite expensive, though. I still get in state tuition since I started my degree as active duty military (and it is still ~$240 per credit, I think it is closer to $500 per credit nonresident). You might be surprised at what can be taken online. There is even a school that offers an online PharmD (of course, prereqs are probably taken in a regular classroom and it is incredibly competitive). I'm doing Accounting, but the school I'm using offers many majors that can be done totally online* http://www.umuc.edu/prog/ugp/mjr_chart_online.shtml (and I'm wouldn't say I'd endorse them since they have a few shortfalls in my mind-cost and the fact that they aren't all that great at taking transfer credit).

*A lab science still has to be done. I've know of people who did an online biology course and it was INCREDIBLY difficult (this was in 2004, I've been taking classes with this school since 2002). I'm not sure if they still offer it.

...I was very geared towards her goals and found myself against the wall with very few options. So, I stop being concern about the "big" courses and started focusing on the "general" ones.

We decided to have her work the last years of HS with as many dual enrollments, and use CLEP to get as many if not all the first two years of college, while we are where we are. When this tour is done, we will then consider what would be the next step taking in consideration where we will be. The fun of the military is wearing off.:001_smile:

There are colleges that have complete degrees through distance learning, a lot of them. Is not monetarily wise for them to advertise it, but it is very well doable.

HTH

After visiting several local 4-year universities, I was less than impress for the $$. What Gary North and CollegePlus have to say make sense. It is worth googling and reading about the benefits of a distance ed degree. We're finding it is the preferred option for us, not just an acceptable one.

I am currently tutoring a man who is working on his degree via a distance learning program at an accredited university. Courses have been organized so that students have discussions via the Internet. In Math, he has "study groups" where students post problems on an Internet "black board" for the group to see, however, he has no virtual instruction in mathematics. He has a text which he has to read and figure out on his own--hence he hired me.

In my mind, there is no advantage to this type of program except portability. This fellow has been able to follow the job market and continue to take courses at the same school. He has felt that the program has worked well for English, history, etc., but said that he would have benefitted from classroom instruction in math, science and programming.

One of the problems faced by ex-military people is that the specific educational training that they had in the military does not always translate in the university setting. My tutee is ex-Navy--he found a program that gave credit for his Navy nuclear training which is intensive stuff, but technical in nature, not traditionally "academic". This may be another reason to choose one of the distance learning programs, the need to find a collgee which gives credit for some sort of alternative experience.

My local CC is offering more and more online and "hybrid" courses (half online/half classroom), realizing that these more flexible arrangements can benefit a full time working population. Given the low cost of the CC, this may be an economical way for someone to complete an AS or AA if circumstances required the student to work 40 hours a week.

One other thing: I would not hesitate to call the HR department of large employers near you and ask about their degree policies.

Jane

The certificate is no different from one I would have received for a residential degree. I started doing the degree when I lived in Taiwan, continued it in California, and finished in London. It was a bit lonely doing it that way and motivation was not easy, but it was convenient for my situation.

Laura

I teach at a state CC in both the classroom and online, and there is absolutely no difference in content or what is listed on the transcript. Unless my kids need a specialized program and/or want to go away for school, they'll probably do at least some of their studies online.

I'll note that the quality of online education is still pretty uneven though. I put a lot of effort into my classes with links, online videos, discussion boards, online presentations, etc. I'm taking an online class myself this summer and it's VERY spartan -- basically a syllabus with chapters to read, a list of assignments to turn in, and some handouts to cover areas that the book is weak in. Some learners would not do well with such a bare-bones approach.

Jean, you might want to check out a book written by very good friends of mine. It is available at most homeschool stores. The title is College without Compromise, by Scott and Kris Wightman. Their son recieved a bachelors degree in business by distance learning.

I just looked at this at CBD and it looks great! Thank you, I am going to order this when I can.