Menu

Is there a reason I shouldnt use zofran to avoid throwing up when my kids have the fl

Sorry for the long title.

Eta: oops should say the flu

This is the 3rd time I have done so and it seems to work amazingly well. I have 7 kids and don't have time to be throwing up everytime one of them is which is what has happened in the past. I realise I may still have the bug but not having to deal with throwing up is heaven. Thoughts?

Isn't throwing up part of the body's way of healing, eliminating some of the virus? We did have to use Zofran with DD when she was younger (2 or 3--very young) because the poor baby could not stop throwing up after being down with the flu for almost 2 weeks and was horribly dehydrated (zero urine in her bladder, lethargic, etc.). I think the throwing up had become a reflex for her and the Zofran after a saline IV helped to get her healed. I don't think I would use it for a typical course of the flu though.

Our pedi, who is generally very hands off when it comes to meds, gives zofran to my kiddos if they have thrown up more than a few times or if it lasts more than a day. They recover fine with no ill effects. We have never had vomiting with the flu though, so you might ask your doc about that.

Is the RXed by a DR?

The MAJORITY of a time, GI illness is not the "flu", but is food poisoining or allergic reaction of some sort. I would worry that you're removing the body's way of ridding itself of toxin.

I would NOT do such a thing on a regular basis, and never if not prescribed by a DR at that time for THAT illness for THAT child. Number of kids does not convince me otherwise.

Our pedi, who is generally very hands off when it comes to meds, gives zofran to my kiddos if they have thrown up more than a few times or if it lasts more than a day. They recover fine with no ill effects. We have never had vomiting with the flu though, so you might ask your doc about that.

Sorry. I know its not really the flu. But a stomach bug of some kind is what I mean. I grew up calling it the flu and habits are hard to break!

I worry about not getting rid of the bug or whatever but once I start throwing up it doesn't stop for me for a couple days. Its really hard for me to be down like that multiple times per winter. What I've done is when I start to feel like I'm going to throw up I take a zofran and then I don't. I seem to get well just fine. Its always over for the kids in 12-24 hrs but like I said if I go down that path its much longer for me. I'm sensative that way.

Thank you!

Sorry. I know its not really the flu. But a stomach bug of some kind is what I mean. I grew up calling it the flu and habits are hard to break!

I worry about not getting rid of the bug or whatever but once I start throwing up it doesn't stop for me for a couple days. Its really hard for me to be down like that multiple times per winter. What I've done is when I start to feel like I'm going to throw up I take a zofran and then I don't. I seem to get well just fine. Its always over for the kids in 12-24 hrs but like I said if I go down that path its much longer for me. I'm sensative that way.

Thank you!

So - you're just dosing yourself with it?

Is the RXed by a DR?

The MAJORITY of a time, GI illness is not the "flu", but is food poisoining or allergic reaction of some sort. I would worry that you're removing the body's way of ridding itself of toxin.

I would NOT do such a thing on a regular basis, and never if not prescribed by a DR at that time for THAT illness for THAT child. Number of kids does not convince me otherwise.

The rx is mine left over from another illness. I don't give it to the kids. Just me so I can stay well enough to care for them. I have heard that about stomach bugs being food poisoning etc but I can't see how that could be true. We get it one after the other every few days and can often trace it to the source. A friend who came down with it just after playing with us or something.

Thanks for your opinion. A little harsh but whatever.

The rx is mine left over from another illness. I don't give it to the kids. Just me so I can stay well enough to care for them. I have heard that about stomach bugs being food poisoning etc but I can't see how that could be true. We get it one after the other every few days and can often trace it to the source. A friend who came down with it just after playing with us or something.

To me, it makes a difference if you (an adult) are dosing yourself or if you are dosing the kids (who wouldn't have a say).

To me, it makes a difference if you (an adult) are dosing yourself or if you are dosing the kids (who wouldn't have a say).

Okay....my kids don't have say in most things?!? If I feel as their mother they need tylenol for their fever or something I don't ask their opinion!

Okay....my kids don't have say in most things?!? If I feel as their mother they need tylenol for their fever or something I don't ask their opinion!

If you were using a RX'd drug in a manner it was not prescribed, including for a person and illness that it was not prescribed for, then no, I don't think you can ethically force it on someone. Obviously you would be using tylenol as indicated and that is not a problem.

I apologize for my harshness. I misunderstood. I thought you were dosing the KIDS and I was also pretty much assuming that you were using someone's RX instead of getting it RXed by the DR for that illness.

Do whatever you want for yourself, of course. Giving kids an RX med w/o an RX would be sketchy, IMHO. I was responding to my misunderstanding., If I understood it was YOU taking the med, I'd have been much less judgmental, as I am a lot more tolerant when it comes to people doing sketchy things to themselves than to their kids, lol.

Here is one link (of many possible -- feel free to google on, lol) that explains why/how food poisoning is contagious in many cases.

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/do-i-have-the-stomach-flu-or-food-poisoning

GI bugs are rare in my home (of 5 folks), about once every 5 years someone gets one and we usually all get it. They are the absolute pits and I hate nothing worse than puking, so I definitely feel sympathy. I am an absolute freak about food-related hygiene and overall sanitation b/c I hate puking SO MUCH.

If I were you, I'd just ask your own doctor about it. He might be fine with it, and then he'll be willing to write you a new RX when your stash runs out. :)