Menu

Knights of Arrethtrae?

here is a page about his books. You can click for a link to an audio book clip.

http://perfect-praise.com/index_files/Page266.htm

and here is a segment of the author interview on this site

"Tell me about your book. How did you come up with the idea? Through our family devotions, I noticed that our children paid much closer attention when a story was told, such as a parable by Jesus. I began to write a parable of the life of Christ set in a medieval time period where swords, castles, and battles were all Biblically symbolic without the use of magic or wizardry. The response from my children was astounding. All of the sword fights and battle scenes are tastefully written so that parents do not have to be concerned. The central characters in the first two books are Leinad and Tess. Leinad represents all of the Old Testament prophets and discovers that he is chosen by the King for a mission of utmost importance…free the people in bondage under a fierce castle lord and deliver a message of promise of the coming Prince to the people. The central character in the last two books is Cedric of Chessington, a peasant who becomes a master swordsman under the tutelage of a stranger from a distant land (the Prince). Cedric represents every person from Peter until now that has trusted in Jesus Christ as lord and savior.

Why did you write this book?

I wrote Kingdom’s Edge, the third book in the series but the first book written, for one reason only…to inspire my children to study the Scriptures and to create a zeal for God’s Word.

What need does it meet?

The Kingdom Series provides an action/adventure story for our youth that teaches Biblical character without the use of magic, witchcraft, or wizardry. The romantic medieval time period provided an excellent setting to write an allegory that children from ages eight to adult simply love. Each scene and character are directly symbolic to Bible stories. The reader is treated to an action story that chronologically follows the history of God’s people from creation to the end of time.

Thanks for the link and info. I think the content looks really good, but the ages say 12 and up. Dd reads well, but I wonder if she would truly get the parable or if she would only understand the plot at face value.

but that is ok too? right? I didn't get the theological parallels of narnia either, until I reread them as an adult.

Ds reads them and loves them! I saw them first at a homeschool conference. They were either in his age section of the booth or he is the one that picked them up. He is 11 now and I think he got the first one around 8 or 9. He does totally get them. When I ask him what they are about he can tell me which book corresponds to which period in the Bible.

There is a follow-on series as well. I think. He likes those too.

We love them here as well. All of my kids love them, from the 6 year old to my 15 year old. For the younger ones I pointed out the bible story that was the basis of that section of the story. We listened to the audio books, they are very well done. I have since bought the books and they have read them over and over again.

My dh and I really enjoyed them as well. The first series is the allegory of the bible, the second set are about character qualities. I actually like the second set a little better.

You will not be disappointed, we know many kids in our homeschool group that read these and they all love them.

Sheri

but that is ok too? right? I didn't get the theological parallels of narnia either, until I reread them as an adult.

Sure, it's okay.:001_smile: I decided to buy them. It will be a big chunk of Dd's Christmas money though, so I didn't know if I should wait a couple of years. It looks like something she will reread, though.

How do you pronounce Arrethtrae. I've never heard anyone say it.

Ds reads them and loves them! I saw them first at a homeschool conference. They were either in his age section of the booth or he is the one that picked them up. He is 11 now and I think he got the first one around 8 or 9. He does totally get them. When I ask him what they are about he can tell me which book corresponds to which period in the Bible.

There is a follow-on series as well. I think. He likes those too.

I think I got the flier at a homeschool conference. I stuck it in with my catalogues and forgot about it until I was sorting through things.

We love them here as well. All of my kids love them, from the 6 year old to my 15 year old. For the younger ones I pointed out the bible story that was the basis of that section of the story. We listened to the audio books, they are very well done. I have since bought the books and they have read them over and over again.

My dh and I really enjoyed them as well. The first series is the allegory of the bible, the second set are about character qualities. I actually like the second set a little better.

You will not be disappointed, we know many kids in our homeschool group that read these and they all love them.

Sheri

Thanks for responding. I've never heard of anyone I know reading them. It was helpful to hear all positive responses.