Menu

Teaching Textbooks Algebra: Lack of Extra Practice

Hi all! This is my first time posting here. I need some suggestions. My 8th gr. ds is using Teaching Textbooks Algebra I. This is our 4th yr. with TT. He has always breezed through with no problem. He has never needed any extra practice, but this year is different. He did not score well on the last two chapter tests. I am NOT savvy when it comes to Algebra (it been way too many years since high school), so I am of little help. I need a free or very cheap resource for extra practice. Something that is self-teaching, clear and if it had a topical listing that would be great. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Introductory Algebra by Margaret Lial is self-teaching, and it has tons of problems. There are usually lots of them used on Amazon. Even if your ds doesn't use it, it might be helpful to YOU in understanding the various topics - it's very thorough.

Another option - the Khan Academy videos at www.khanacademy.org. They are presented by topic and do explain the material.

If you don't need the instruction, just extra problems, you might go to http://interactmath.com/ and peruse problems from various algebra texts to find what you need. The chapters are listed by topic covered.

Introductory Algebra by Margaret Lial is self-teaching, and it has tons of problems. There are usually lots of them used on Amazon. Even if your ds doesn't use it, it might be helpful to YOU in understanding the various topics - it's very thorough.

Another option - the Khan Academy videos at www.khanacademy.org. They are presented by topic and do explain the material.

If you don't need the instruction, just extra problems, you might go to http://interactmath.com/ and peruse problems from various algebra texts to find what you need. The chapters are listed by topic covered.

I second Khan Academy. If you both sign up as student and coach, you can follow your child's progress easily as they progress through each series of practices and earn badges. It's all free, and very well taught.

Blessings,

Lucinda

• 2 weeks later...
He did not score well on the last two chapter tests. I am NOT savvy when it comes to Algebra (it been way too many years since high school), so I am of little help

Since my daughter has completed TT Algebra 1 and 2, I will tell you what we did.

When my daughter struggled on a test, I would review all of the problems in the chapter looking for a trend. If I could tell that she was missing a concept or struggled in one area or completely lost, I would have her start the entire chapter over.

It was never pretty, but since everything builds, missing a foundational point became so critical, my daughter would agree to start over. My daughter successfully passed both TT 1 and 2, so it worked for us.

http://www.kutasoftware.com has EXCELLENT worksheets available with answers too!

Just click on a level then 'free worksheets'.... awesome resource

The answer page will be a part of the pdf you download.

I have the software--but I use it in my classes so I can justify the expense.

--

http://www.math.com has a free online Algebra 1 worksheet generator.

From main page click on Algebra 1 at the top (tiny letters on upper left).

Somewhere mid page is the link to the Algebra worksheet creator (click it).

Make sure you click the box saying you want an answer sheet! Answer sheet will be in a 'pop up' window-- so make sure you enable pop ups.

Basic algebra only--but still a nice resource-- unlimited practice!