Menu

Narrative World History Books/Series

What else is out there besides the Dorothy Mills books, Gombrich, Hillyer, Guerber, and Van Loon?

I thought I would use the Mills books with dd when she went into 5th because I really enjoyed my first reading of her Ancient World book, but reading it again I can't imagine dd enjoying it.

Tara

Builders of the Old World by Hartman is a very good book first published in 1946. It is somewhat similar to the other books you mentioned in scope and tone.

For fun, my children like the Cartoon History of the World books, but preview them because are not to everyone's taste. My kids love love love them.

Have you looked through the books available on the Baldwin Project.

For ancients you have the folklore/myths from Green or Colum as well as the Day in Old Athens or Rome books by Davis. there are books like Famous Men by Pollard and Haaren or the Story of Charlemagne. Fiona MacDonald and Connolly have good books (The Ancient City or The Cavalryman).

I haven't found one author that covers every period well so we shift as we move along.

The really great thing about being friends with a reference librarian at the main branch is that you can call him and say, "Can you pull me a cart of books on ancient world history from the storage stacks in the basement?" and he says, "Sure, when do you want to come in and look at them?"

:D

Tara

The really great thing about being friends with a reference librarian at the main branch is that you can call him and say, "Can you pull me a cart of books on ancient world history from the storage stacks in the basement?" and he says, "Sure, when do you want to come in and look at them?"

:D

Tara

So, anything good to pass on to us??:bigear:

:001_smile: