Menu

Thinking about pulling my dd from PS... many questions...

Okay, I've always homeschooled my 5th and 1st graders but my K'er is in public school in a self-contained classroom. I love her teachers, the teacher-student ratio, her therapist, etc. I have no complaints about that. However, now that the first 9 weeks are over, the push is towards more seatwork and higher expectations and my dd is going to "shut down", I just know it. I see the beginning signs (and this happened last year in public preK in her mainstream class - same school, wonderful teacher, work too hard).

She has a chromosome disorder. She will be 6 in a month and she's functioning on a newly 2 to almost 4 year old level (in different areas). Her overall IQ is 65. She needs lots and lots and lots of repetition to get something to stick.

As far as skills, she's mastered basic colors except red and blue. Her fine motor skills are decent and she can write letters (can't identify them but she can write them) on a very basic level. She can count objects up to 3, sometimes 5. She can consistently count to 10 and can count to 20 with help. She has some sensory issues but they aren't bad and she's not currently getting therapy.

She has ADHD and is medicated for it, as well as being on a GF diet and taking supplements.

My questions:

1.) I'm not sure how to pull her out of school with an IEP. This may vary from state to state. I've called our area homeschool organization but have not heard back yet.

2.) She THRIVES with picture schedules and visual cues. She has a lot of words and can talk well. Her expressive is MUCH better than her receptive, which makes it hard for people to understand she really doesn't know what you are talking about. Anyway, pictures and social stories help a lot with her. I'd love ideas on this... if you incorporate them into your home and homeschool.

3.) I worry about providing the structure she needs. In addition to the older two children, I also have a busy 19 month old. I HAVE to keep her (my 5 year old) busy and rotate activities or she will get into things (rip up books, etc.).

4.) In many ways she and my 19 month old (who is fairly bright) are close to the same level. She can talk way better than he can (he has some cave man words, but she's a fluent talker) but as far as intelligence, they are close. I'd love to "teach" them together - circle time, book reading, games, etc. Any ideas for this will be great. I'm particularly concerned about when he passes her up, which will inevitably happen sooner than later, I expect. I want her to not feel threatened.

5.) Do you have any curriculum suggestions? I'm particularly interested in phonics programs. I'll probably largely unschool/deschool her this year if I pull her out (but keep structured activities) and repeat K next fall. But I'm interested in hearing curriculum suggestions. We do plan to use TeachTown, as it looks like it would be good for her. She loves playing on the computer but I want interactive work as well.

6.) She just recently got into working puzzles. She's challenged by and enjoys 24 piece puzzles. She also likes pretend play. Any ideas of manipulatives or independant activities that she might enjoy would be great.

7.) Chores... she needs some. It takes a LOT of work to get her to do things so I've neglected this area. I'll obviously have to work WITH her to do anything but it's starting to become an issue b/t her and her 6 year old sister (they are 10 months apart but 3-5 years developmently apart, but 6 year old just knows they are almost the same age and resents that she has more responsibilities).

8.) Lastly, I'm concerned about what people will think. Not really.... I've always homeschooled and can defend myself pretty well (DH's family does not support). People automatically assume I can't homeschool her and I'm less confident about it myself than I am with my other children. In particular, I'm concerned about how inlaws will react, particularly around my children. For instance, they make a BIG deal about dd being in school and will ask her about it and go on and on about how fun it must be and will not speak to my other kids about being hs'ed (which is probably good since I know their opinions, but it does not go unnoticed my my older girls).

Any BTDT advice would be great. I'm open to any ideas. I'm also concerned about how to keep her challenged but keep her on an appropriate level for her. She will never grow out of her disability but I want to give her the best chance I can. It's such a balance and hard to know sometimes what to expect or when I'm pushing too hard. kwim?

Edited by littleWMN

My son had an IEP I just withdrew him as any other child. I can only assume that would be the same you have the legal right to homeschool.

We use workboxes with pictures all though he is a pretty good reader now. There are tons of things online to make picture schedules and googling images helps alot.

As far as answering to family I seem to be pretty harsh next to others. These are my children, I had them and I will do as I see fit. I have never answered questions or defended myself to anyone.

Follow what she likes, read alot. let her pick books at the library and go from there. When damie was little he had a box. A busy box of just stuff for him when I was busy with the other kids. They still have a cubby full of things like this, we call it the waiting station!

Thanks! I'd love to see pictures of any schedules you all use in your homeschool.

She's very highly impulsive and has a short attention span. One of her IEP goals is to attend to something for 5 minutes. Another is to follow one-step directions, which she's hitting at 5%. Right now, she can only sit for a short board book. One of my goals would be to get to her to sit longer. I'd say she can sit for awhile longer now that she's doing puzzles and interested in writing. But for only those two things.

Did you not sign anything or hold an IEP meeting to pull him out? I was assuming we'd have to waive services or something.

Before Five in a Row is working for my dd but she is higher functioning than yours....but she loves the simpleness of a story and 1 activity after it. But after 5 days of the same story but different activities she seems to have a grasp of more than I would have thought.

:grouphug:

Talking letter factory for letter sounds.

I See Sam for phonics.

There are supposedly a lot of good special needs apps using picture cues and other visualization things, it may be worth saving up for an iPad. There are also some good phonics and math apps that might help you get in some extra repetion of things in a fun way.

Find the homeschooling laws in your state. You probably already know them, but there's no reason that you couldn't withdraw her just as any other child. Especially sense she is so young, a lot of states don't have compulsory schooling age until 6-18. So legally she may not even be of compulsory schooling age. Some states have different laws about "enrolled children" regardless of compulsory age. You want to find out all of those. Especially since she's almost 6.

You can also get therapy from other places besides ps. My son has speech and ot through the local hospital, and depending on your dd's age she is allowed early intervention help through the state regardless of homeschooling or ps. It just all depends on what she needs specifically and what you can do on your own.

The workbox system is wonderful---I use it--somewhat modified for our unique likes and needs---but I say give it a try. If you can't handle a daily thing, you can fill up a drawer with weekly things and make a weekly type of workbox schedule. That's how we usually do it.

I have a 4 year old--and I try to spend afternoons with him, concentrated time for a few hours. I also take two days and devote to him the majority of the day. Any way you can find to include your dd in your other children's lessons is good too.

Chores--we use picture reminder cues for that. Things we need to do daily, and then other things I just ask my kiddos to help out with. make it a fun time if I can.

The Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading looked good to me as far as reading. Also Explode The Code has been a big hit here. Kumon books. Sing, Read, Write, Spell (or something like that) is pretty solid. A bit pricey, but if your dd needs a lot of help in some areas like colors etc, it could be good.

The Out of Sync Child Has Fun would be a good thing to work through. http://www.kinderart.com is loaded with great ideas. Maybe start her on the first books in the Handwriting Without Tears program. RightStart math or Saxon math have great math manipulatives kits. You can also use some Montessori methods for math.

Just keep reading to her. Even if she's not sitting right there with you but moving about the room, just sit there while she plays and read a picture book out loud. I've done that with my 4 year old who thinks siting still while I read a little picture book is torture. But if i read while he is moving about the room, he'll amaze me later with how much he actually paid attention. It's one of my main gripes with ps--that a kid needs to be in this place at this time and still as a stone to understand something read out loud. Also just have audiobooks, or Classical Kids, or music playing during the day.

Play easy board games too---that might help her "stay on task" for longer as well.

And who cares what people think---it's your kiddo. You'll make the best choice you can! :grouphug:

Edited by Walking-Iris

Well you know this, but you want to think through some logistics. When you have someone who is that busy and needing and older kids working, you end up both with the problem of keeping the dc safe and out of trouble AND minimizing the noise/distraction to the olders. If you have a room you can set up for her that would be her space (nothing you mind being torn up, a tv, an ipad, some physical things like a hopper ball and trampoline, etc. etc) that would be a bit removed from the 10 yo, it might be wise. I don't really have that in our house (open basement, everything runs together), and it's a mess. Noisy moving kids and pre-algebra don't mix. :(

You might hit your library's preschool section and see what strikes you. I like BFIAR, which would work with your mix. I really, really, really like "Where is Thumbkin" by Pam Schiller. All of Pam Schiller's stuff is amazing, and some of her books will probably be at your library.

There are so many good games to encorporate language. Don't be afraid just to PLAY with her. A lot of our speech therapy with my ds is play. It's so valuable. Look for what she likes to play and do more of it. If she likes pretend, then invest in play food and a cash register and basket. You could make puppets together to go with the nursery rhymes in that Where Is Thumbkin book. I got a book telling how to make puppets from felt and just haven't gotten it done. Another good book in that vein is The Preschooler's Busy Book by Trish Kuffner. Terrific, terrific ideas, easy to implement.

You probably already know this, but work with her first, then go to your other kids. I can't help with the disparity thing. I know my dd feels it, even though I TRY to do all I can with both. I can't even imagine with having a sibling so close in age. I guess help her see the benefits she gets too, the things she gets to do that her similarly aged sibling doesn't get to.

Thank you all so much!

My husband has an ipad so I've gotten some apps for her (as well as her sisters) to use. I went to Dollar Tree today and bought 8 24 piece puzzles. I think I have enough things now to rotate and keep her busy and I will use some sort of workbox system to do it (probably Sterlite drawers).

I'm very excited (and nervous!). About caring what other people think... well, as a homeschooler I'm used to questions and really don't care what people think. But as a public school mom, I've had to defend myself on that too (to homeschoolers) and I think I've talked myself into why public school is so much better FOR HER. I don't feel that way anymore, and the main reason is her scores are SO low and also they are introducing whole language/sight words and I don't agree with that method (unless solid phonics instruction is tried first).